Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What If the Spitfire and Hurricane fighter aircraft didn't exist?

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by Spitfire King, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spitfire King

Spitfire King Member

The good ol' gloster gladiator would have faced the brunt of the battle of britain, the mustang would never have got its merlin engine, would there have been another low wing monoplane designed in time? I look forward to all your comments :D

2. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Just because the Spitfire and Hurricane did not get developed does not preclude that RR would still develop the Merlin.
    Aside from that, the British would have developed something to replace the Gladiator in short order after the war began. It would be obvious to even the most hidebound RAF officer that the Me 109 and other monoplanes completely outclassed their first line fighter.
    Maybe the Miles M20 for example as a stop-gap.

3. tikilal

tikilal Ace

Well with out those two planes at the beginning of the war I don't know what would have stopped the German attack on England. I think that the British would have had other planes though, they were not stupid. There was never a desire to neglect entirely the RAF only to change the organization. The merlin would still have been produced and perhaps mated with the p-39 or p-51 much earlier to replace the Gladiators.

4. Carl W Schwamberger

Carl W Schwamberger Ace

I wonder what other proposed models the British considered and rejected in favor of the Hurricane and Spitfire? Theaircraft industry must have designed much more than those two in hopes of selling a production contract. Anyone have any knowledge of these?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.