Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What is your absolute favorite scene in a war movie?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by C.Evans, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Highway70

Highway70 Member

I don't thiink it was "The Desert Rats" However when looking up that movie I found another canidate: "Rats of Tobruk" an Austrailian movie made in 1944.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Rats of Tobruk though, doesn't have Sir John Mills in it. I've been wanting a copy of this on DvD for a long time-just never got around to ordering it yet.

3. phmohanad

phmohanad Member

The Best WW2 Movie Scene is in The End of "Saving Private Rayne" When Tom Hanks "The Captain" Empty his Pistol in The Tiger Tank in Some Disperate Trying!! Then Suddenly it's Destroyed!! Wow ,by What?? Of Course not his Pistol=Colt1911!! By Some USAF Plane's Bomb!!

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Saying Pvt Ryan as a best movie choice-aint saying much. There are just too many more out there that blow that movie away.

No offense meant-just voicing a disagreement on that movie being great ;-))

5. phmohanad

phmohanad Member

Right ,but These Older Movies "Classic Ones" Were Poor in Modelling of Nazi Panzers & Effects!! Although their Actors Were much more Famous!!
    4 Example in "Patton" Movie U can See Clearly that Both Sides Had M24 Chaffe!!:D but with different Paint Job!!:D
    Also in "a Brigde Too Far" U Can See That The German Panzers R Crommwell!!:D
    Any Way both of These Movies R Great!! and Acted Very Well!!

6. André7

André7 Active Member

take your pick

from "The Man Called Intrepid" (tv miniseries, 1978) German officer asks the spy "Madeleine" to kneel in front of the firing squad. She squares her shoulders. "It is not symbolic" he says "Merely efficient".

the "little colonel" Mathew Broderick releases his horse before the attack on the fort at the end of Glory, knowing he will die. He looks off to sea and we see gulls following the air currents. James Horner's music score swells.

Richard Burton at the end of the Longest Day: "He's dead, You're lost and I'm wounded". Also "The problem of being one of the few is we keep getting fewer",

Into The Storm: Churchill: "You are intimidated in my presence, are you not? Then you can imagine how I feel in yours"

Private Ryan "Captain, what would your mother say if she saw you doing that?" "I thought you were my mother"

"The Pacific" - Snafu throwing pebbles into the Japanese corpses' open cranium.

"Band of Brothers" the paratrooper picking up his laundry and that of all his dead or missing companions. Also Doc Rowe tearing up the Nurse's head cover to make a bandage.

"Bridge Too Far" - Elliot Gould jogging to the Son and sprayed with water, cigar and all as the Bridge goes up in his face.

"Thin Red Line" Jong Cusak's silent reaction shots as Nick Nolte rants about promotion.

Judgement At Nuremberg" Spencer Tarcy to Maximillian Schell "You are a very logical man, but all the logic in the world doesn't make you right".

"Americanization of Emily" James Garner: "Those were brave men dying there all around me, men who in peace had been frightened of their bosses, some of their wives, but war had made them gallant... Wars are always fought for the best of reasons, for liberation or manifest destiny... I preach cowardice, through cowardice we shall all be saved!"

Schindler's List - the jamming gun.

Mr. Roberts - Pulver finally getting his moxy at the end.

Passchendaele - Paul Gross: "We're good at it because we've been doing it so long and we've been doing it so long because we're good at it".

Bethune, The Making of a Hero Donald Sutherland kisses the dying girl (so politically incorrect but so right in the context of the scene and the film)

Cross of Iron - James Coburn laughing under the whole end credits and ending with "Aw Shit!"

"Counterpoint" Charleton Heston standing in the rubble at the end with his conductor's baton, and Beethoven playing.

"Enemy at the Gates" the fountain scene "can you shoot?"

"Flags Of Our Fathers" - "Don't forget your masturbation papers"

"Secret of Santa Vittoria" Bombolini's Histrionics when the German tells him they are going to take the wine.

"Dirty Dozen" "Where are you from soldier?"

"The Big Red One" "I like the way they smell"

"Where Eagles Dare" - "Next time you have one of these things, could you make it an all British thing?"

"The English Patient" - The piano scene

"Conspiracy", hell the whole damn thing...

7. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Dunkirk...small boat owners at night after delivering boats to Navy...watch as the flotsam of British army is helped onto the quay...music is haunting....says it all...and in real life said it to them.. when they volunteered to take their own boats across.. .Music did it for me...Second one...Yangtse Incident...when HMS Amathyst at dead of night slips anchor and steams down Yangtse behind Chinese steamer...Again...music was devestating..