Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What is your absolute favorite scene in a war movie?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by C.Evans, Jun 3, 2003.

1. fsbof

fsbof Member

Among my favorites is the scene in SPR when the patrol crosses paths with the Sdkfz 251 and engages in a sharp but short firefight - and finally finds Pvt Ryan. The combat looks authentic, the falling Germans don't die a "Hollywood" death, and the smoking halftrack adds atmosphere to a pivotal scene - well done IMO.

2. scarface

scarface Member

In 'The War Lover', where Steve McQueen's character takes his B-17 and 'beats up' the airfield - some simply incredible scenes of a Fortress flying mere feet above the ground, literally flying between hangers - and he goes up, turns around and does it again! Amazing stunt flying.

The knife fight in 'Saving Private Ryan' was incredibly realistic and personal - that was a real horrifying scene for me to watch.

In 'Band of Brothers', the defeated German General's speech to his POW soldiers while the men of Easy languished in the jeep and listened to the translation - and the speech was about 'brothers in battle', and it just kind of completed the circle for me as far as soldiers on both sides experiencing similar emotions and experiences.

And all of 'Catch-22', which just demonstrated the abaolute madness of war.
    "You can only get out of the war if you're crazy.... and if you WANT to get out of war, well..... you CAN'T be crazy, because war is madness, and EVERYBODY wants out.. Catch-22 - it's beautiful, isn't it?"

The scene in 'Saving Private Ryan', where the corpsman gets hit, and they're all gathered around him trying to help as he fades away and dies, crying for his mother...... jeez, what a powerful and moving scene.

and there are many more....​

.... nice thread....​

-whatever​

-Lou​

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Speaking of Cross of Iron scenes, I thought the battle scenes were most excellently done which were the scenes just after Sergeant Steiner lets the Russian boy go, and the Russians start an attack-simply magnificent. Also, the fight scenes before their retreat into the tractor factory-as well as the fighting inside the factory.

4. uksubs

uksubs Member

Sorry to say Larry Hagman ham acting killed the film for me :mad:
    The film was shot not that far from where I live , have you seen the un-cut version ?

5. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Not WW2 but......

The scene in Gods and Generals where the Union and Confederate camps are on opposite sides of the Rappahannock River. One soldier from each side meets in the middle of the river and they trade some coffee for some tobbaco. It just puts the whole brother vs. brother thing in perspective.

6. warnerd

warnerd Member

a scene i like very much is in

flags of our fathers: they were all on the ship going to iwo jima one of their buddy's falls over board and the ship keep going as they say after calling for help "their not stopping" and the guy next to him says "so much for no man left behind" and give you a sad feeling.

and also was flags of our fathers again: was the battle of iwo jima was good well

7. diddyriddick

diddyriddick Member

"The scene in Gods and Generals where the Union and Confederate camps are on opposite sides of the Rappahannock River. One soldier from each side meets in the middle of the river and they trade some coffee for some tobbaco. It just puts the whole brother vs. brother thing in perspective."

Agreed, Mike. Problem is it wasn't enough to redeem the rest of the film.

8. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Hi David, I agree with your statement completely, I was quite disappointed with the movie overall, as many where. Especially with the care taken toward the historical accuracy of Gettysburg. From the novel, too much was cut from the movie. I would have greatly enjoyed where Armistead and Hancock left for opposite sides of the war from California.

9. skunk works

skunk works Ace

Another would be in "Go tell the Spartans"
    When Burt Lancaster explains what transpired to get this sorry posting in the jungle hell of no one knows what's going on or is going to happen, or who's who.
    When he tells Marc Singer that he did what any good soldier does when he's in the presence of a superior officer......He "Saluted"......
    Marc Singer spit up all over the place. :D

10. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

11. pvt snowball

pvt snowball Member

My favorite scene has always been the part in Saving Private Ryan with the German sniper being shot through his scope.

12. diddyriddick

diddyriddick Member

"I would have greatly enjoyed where Armistead and Hancock left for opposite sides of the war from California."

Agreed

13. diddyriddick

diddyriddick Member

"My favorite scene has always been the part in Saving Private Ryan with the German sniper being shot through his scope."

Was I the only one who noticed that the Barry Pepper character was so awkwardly shooting a right-handed bolt-action rifle left-handed?

14. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

I also noticed that and thought it funny.

15. diddyriddick

diddyriddick Member

Thanks, Mike. Nice to know I'm not completely losing my mind.

16. Tomahawk720

Tomahawk720 Member

Tie

Bayonett Charge-Gettysburg
    Taking of Foy-Band of Brothers

17. Kommando

Kommando Dishonorably Discharged

The scene in Der Untergang in which Goebells choses to stay in the Fuhrerbunker and die alongside Adolf Hitler. It is truely a beautiful & moving scene how he stays loyal to the bitter end.

Other than that I like the scene 15 minutes into Stalingrad 1993. In rain German soldiers are marching east, with the good background music playing, and then a long column of Russian prisoners being taken into the opposite direction.

/Kommando

18. Giniristi

Giniristi Member

There are several powerful scenes in Talvisota. One of my favorites is from the 4 hour TV version.

On the way to say "Hello" to the 5th Company, Martti meets an anti-aircraft crew. He advises them to put out their campfire, but they don't listen to him. On the way back, Martti finds the bodies of the crew; Russian artillery had spotted the campfire. Martti has feelings of guilt. "I should have stamped out that campfire myself."

19. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

From the new "Tali-Ihantala" movie the scene where the Finnish guerillas (with transmitters) left behind the lines notice Soviet trains carrying T-34´s going away from the front after Stalin had decided it was no use "banging the head" against Finnish defence "lines".

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heres a new one for all. One of my favorite scenes from: Hannible Brooks, is when Brooks decideds to attack the Gebirgejager Blockhouse/Border checkpoint, that has a road leading through it to nearby Switzerland. This blockhouse is made out of Logs and Brooks has help from "his" Elephant in knocking loose the support logs and you see the whole structure fall down the side of the mountain not only taking the defending Jagers with it but more Jagers who are trying to come up the mountain to stop Brooks. This is a real GEM of a movie.