Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Where and when was he shot??

Discussion in 'WW2|ORG - WWII Open Resource Group' started by John Guhn, Oct 5, 2023.

1. John Guhn

John Guhn New Member

PFC Ershall Edwin Dallas was with the 12th Infantry Reg of the 4th Infantry Div that landed on Utah Beach June 7, 1944 (D+1). Within a few weeks (sometime in July) he was shot in the leg (2 mos before his 20th Birthday) and ended up losing his leg. He spent 18.5 months in the hospital recovering. I'm trying to find out what battle/skirmish and date he was shot for a presentation to his kids, grandkids and great grandkids (who never met him). He passed away when he was just 55 years old in 1979. I think I have gotten all there is with eVetRecs and I have even paid a researcher to get me a lot of the information I have. ANY IDEAS?

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Have you googled to find the historical associations for the Division and Regiment?

3. firstf1abn

firstf1abn Member

You can hire a researcher to copy the morning reports for the date range at NARA in St. Louis. Assuming the records are extant, you could learn the date, probably the location, and also likely, which hospital he was initially sent to.

Good luck.

4. OpanaPointer

If you go to the NARA in ST. Louis, bring your own coffee. They have no clue.

5. John Guhn

John Guhn New Member

Thanks, that opened up a whole new area of research. I'm digging through it now

OpanaPointer likes this.
  6. John Guhn

John Guhn New Member

I've already paid one researcher $300 and got some minimal information like he served in Company C, 12 Infantry Regiment of the 4th infantry division. Unfortunately, the specifics of where, when (date) and what he was involved in (specific battle or skirmish) ends with sometime in July of 1944, when he was shot after coming on shore June 7th, 1944 (D+1). Any other ideas on how to find some specifics

7. John Guhn

John Guhn New Member

I would really rather not spend any more money for a researcher

8. OpanaPointer

Have you'd the organization's name and check for historical sites dedicated to that org. at some level?

9. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Did the researcher pull the Morning Reports for you?

10. John Guhn

John Guhn New Member

The researcher (hired 2 months ago) was Bill Beigel with WW2Researc.com, had found all he could (and it helped a lot) but wanted additional money for addtional research. Not sure where he looked. I also got all that the National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St Louis, MO had through 3 different eVetRecs request

11. OpanaPointer

Again, if you visit there bring your own coffee. It's about 12 miles from my house here.

CurlySue likes this.
  12. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Did he pull the Morning Reports from St. Louis? Those will give you the answer, Contact Geoff Gentilini at Golden Arrow. You just need the MR for Company C, 12th Infantry.