Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Who wants to play ?

Discussion in 'Trench Art' started by Skipper, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

One of my favorites. I already had the bottle and the cup in my collection , but I found the table yesterday. It's made with the bottom of a French 75mm shell. the diameter and height of the whole thing are about 7,5 cm only. This was probably a toy made by a father for a daughter . One of my favorite "trench art" items. I thought putting the bottle and cup on it would make it look even better .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Depends, are we talking Children's make believe tea, English Tea or perhaps something a wee bit more stimulating? :)

3. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

What a great find Skipper, lovely patina, and historic piece. I will have a cognac and skip the tea !! A proper way to celebrate,

Gaines

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Gaines, let's have an Armagnac instead. Glad you like the piece of art. Maybe in time I'll find another part of it

5. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Ahhhhhh, am quite fond of Armagnac, from a little further south!!! ! I once ask for a cognac in Cortona, Italy, French of Italian, he ask? Not knowing there was such a thing ask and was told they make a Italian brady that was similar. I said really, what is the difference, he said 2000 lira !! Well that was not quite true. Still a pretty good brandy.

The French 75 was a fine piece and often copied or influenced many others. Surely more will surface.

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I'm talking about art and you guys are talking about drinking , those Anglo-Saxons....Never mind , I'll pretend there is such a thing as "Italian Cognac".... :drunk: noblesse oblige.

7. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I'll play, but only if we agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm not a trench art collector, and the item below stretches the bounds of that art genre, but... This came from the far east during or just post WWII. It's well made with certain artistic touches and quite functional. It was used because the barrel was once rifled and that rifling is worn away except at the muzzle end. It's entirely brass except for some iron or steel pins and screws, etc. The grips appear to be mahogany. The tip of the ejector rod is made from a spark plug. It's a .32 and is a dead ringer for a Colt Police Positive, circa 1900 - perhaps the only revolver the maker had available to copy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]