Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Why are football players kneeling?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ken The Kanuck, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Otto, I would not expect you to honor the flag outside of standing quietly while we honor it. It speaks highly of you that you do. Thank you.

Matt, I agree that there is no Confederate States in the US and there never were. It was a separate country.

Otto and A-58 like this.
  2. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I thought so CAC.

Now drop and knock out 50 push-ups, followed by two laps around Tasmania....

CAC likes this.
  3. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Please do not judge another country's choice of a leader.

I have been on this planet a long time and never have voted for someone I lôve (thought was great). I have just voted for whoever I dislike the least.

KTK

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I would normally agree Ken...but the effects of what America does or doesnt do effects other countries...plus we have a defence pact with the US (Not sure if Canada does) - So the US can (and has done) bring Australia to war! Australians dying on the back of US decisions makes us well and truly able to judge another countries (The US) leader...
    If the US goes to war with North Korea, Australia will also be at war...that gives us plenty of right IMO...

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

We've never forced or demanded Australia to go to war alongside us. Those decisions were made solely by your own politicos. Our military alliances with Australia (and everyone else) are defensive in nature. Y'all went along with LBJ in his 1965 "More Flags" (in Vietnam) push, as did New Zealand, The Philippines, South Korea and Thailand. "All the way with LBJ" I believe was what your PM at the time was proclaiming. Same with the two Gulf Wars. Y'all were willing participants. And if push comes to shove over Korea, if that is what you are referring to, I really don't see anyone else jumping on the bandwagon with us if we end up facing the Rooskies and the Chinamen. And since you continue to bring it up, for the record I really could care less what people from other countries think what is right or wrong in or for my country. Everyone has enough of their own problems to tend to.

6. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

On another note mate, have you been wätching Wentworth? Great season ending.

KTK

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Never forced no...but if we renig or sit on the fence...the pact effectively becomes invalid...another way of putting it, if Australia goes to war the US has every right to remain neutral...So we MUST go every time...thats Korea, Vietnam, Gulf wars...(we had nothing to do with any of these fights, but stood by the US anyway). The Australian people certainly weren't behind the decisions...Indeed many "civilians" don't understand the PACT or its origins from the second WW...and they should be educated on it...they should be more appreciative of the pact...with it Australia has been peaceful, no one attacks Australia with the US as its brother! You help us stay peaceful just by existing! And that's the truth. I know it...more Australians should also.

Should be noted that before we went into East Timor, possibly triggering a war with Indonesia (200 million muslim people) our Prime Minister went cap-in-hand to Washington and asked the President (Bush) if they would assist us if Indonesia decided to have a problem with us pushing them out of East Timor...the meeting was very short, no umms and ahhs...but a definite "bloody oath" was given by Bush in just minutes...I was very proud of our ANZUS pact that day, and proud of you Americans...

And I can assure you if you go to war with Russia and China, though it will hurt us, we will be by your shoulder before you can pick the phone up...We don't leave mates to fight by themselves.

A-58 and JJWilson like this.
  8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Wentworth? Oooops my "not watching television" rule has bitten me in the backside! Please, tell me more!

9. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

CAC I hope you know that America would be there for Australia in a heartbeat!

Otto and CAC like this.
  10. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

That's appreciated, but all the gratitude flows from me to you Yanks. Some 20 years ago now, I was awarded an athletic scholarship for hockey to a US school, so I was educated in the US, and I've been employed here since 2002. On top of that, I've a wonderful American wife, complete with a southern accent, and I'm very thankful for my american son (3 years old), and most recently an american daughter, just 5 months old now. America has given me so very much that honoring your anthem is the very least I could do.

Slipdigit and CAC like this.
  11. lwd

lwd Ace

I'm still rather mystified by the election. Both parties nominated people that the polls clearly showed that the majority of Americans didn't want as president. They were so polarizing however that people still supported the two major parities (even though they essentially said we don't care about you). I'm still not sure which would have been worse or whether Trump will last a full term.

12. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

It is an Australian TV series about a women's prison. The better half will download a season and we can watch no commercials.

Good show.

KTK

13. lwd

lwd Ace

I disagree. A reasoned discussion on why a particular choice of a leader is good or bad is not only a valid topic it helps us understand each other.

In the case of the recent election it's worth pointing out that the majority of Americans didn't vote nor did either candidate get the majority of the votes of those that did. I think the US system for electing presidents is pretty good but as this election demonstrated it is far from perfect.

14. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Ahh...maybe you are referring to what was called cell block H in Britain, but what was simply called Prisoner here...a 1970s women’s prison drama made by Crawford productions? I was a boy in the 70s but didn’t miss an episode...
    If I said Vinegar tits...?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  15. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Here is a link to the Wikipedia descriptíon. The better half and I are off on a 10 day çruise tomorrow, talk to you later

Wentworth (TV series) - Wikipedia

KTK

16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Well there you go! Don’t have pay tv so miss all those types of shows...no one I know has mentioned it. Similar to shows like Neighbours and Home and Away...it’s an original Australian drama that found far more success over seas than at home...Neighbours has been going for more than 30 years...that’s because the British love the show and partly fund it to keep it going...have you seen the original Prisoner?