Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Why did the Americans let the Russians into Berlin first?

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by Mylady Debbie, Apr 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. green slime

green slime Member

Anyone who has read Anthony Beevor, has read too much Anthony Beevor. But that is another debate entirely.

Sloniksp and RichTO90 like this.
  2. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Exceeded only by those who have read too much of his mentor, Max Hastings. :cool:

3. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Leave Antony alone, he's not that bad :)

And no I am not defending his Bulge book, ugh.

4. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but yes he is. His Stalingrad book is a rehash of Enemy at the Gates, with new mistakes added and no new research. His D-Day book is a rehash of Hastings' including all the same unsourced claims and the same errors. Gee, I can only speculate what his Bulge book is... :cool:

5. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I can't defend him :).

His popularity lies in the masses because of his narrative style and many don't know any better. If he would stick to one topic and develop it, become an expert and really take care with his primary research, he may produce something of more substance.

RichTO90 likes this.
  6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Anyway,

Stalin did say to Ike etc that he was not interested in Berlin anymore.Maybe to keep the Allied away from Berlin?

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/battles_berlin.html

Stalin's reply to Eisenhower broadly agreed with the Supreme Allied Commander's plan, with the exception of the use of liaison officers, in that:
    • Firstly, the Red Army and Western Allies should meet on the line of Erfurt ā€“ Leipzig ā€“ Dresden.
    • Secondly, Berlin had lost its strategic importance and only secondary forces would be allotted to its capture.
    • Thirdly, the main thrust by Soviet forces would begin in the second half of May.
    • Fourthly, the Germans were reinforcing the eastern front with the 6th SS Panzer Army, as well as three divisions from Italy and two from Norway.

7. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

He did promise "Hero of the Soviet Union" to the first Marshal to reach Berlin.

8. BeeGeesOne

BeeGeesOne New Member

I can't help but wonder if it would have been better if the Western Allies had entered Berlin first. For example, perhaps Hitler's demise would have been less of a mystery.

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Read the previous posts. Berlin was going to be in the Soviet Zone, and as Ike stated, it was a political goal not a military one. Expending Allied lives to take Berlin made no sense. Besides, hindsight is always 20/20.

10. denny

denny Member

Not to mention.....the "Cold War" had already started. Allen Dulles was knee deep in it by that time.
    From the perspective of American Global Power, their military was better spent rounding up German Science and Intelligence.
    Right after WWII, the usa fought "commies" with German Intelligence Officers, later went to the moon on German Rockets, and flew "German Jets" in Korea against The Russians.
    The decision to avoid Berlin was pretty astute on Eisenhower's part, if indeed it was really his call.
    I believe the usa also used that time period to recover a HUGE Amount of Art/Culture that the Nazis had plundered during the war. My understanding is that a pretty Gallant Sized Effort was made to repatriate that "stuff with its true home(s). A heart warming slice of history, from one of The Worlds most horrible events.