Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

World War Three May 1946

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by Hairog, Sep 16, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Hairog

Hairog Member

Gorky Park
    Bench #346
    Aug. 3rd, 1946

“Great weather we are having Dim, but I have some trouble on my mind. We have some singularly strange reports coming out of the US. According to some of our best agents, the American’s are having trouble producing their new planes. Other agents are reporting that they were falling short in their recruiting efforts. It’s all devilishly strange comrade. They should be able to start right back up where they left off. In fact, most of the other agents say just the opposite yet where are all their reinforcements? Where are the new units that they are expected to field against us. Instead, more and more Spanish and old soldiers from the defeated Western Europe countries are manning the lines and the Yankee dogs appear to be pulling out of line slowly according to our frontline troops.”
    “Da they are hugely disappointed when they kill a poor Spanish instead of a wealthy Yankee. I don’t know what to tell you comrade. All I can say is that I’m glad I’m not the one that will be meeting Maior Egorov to try and explain what you have heard. You have to figure out a way for him to make the decision of who is telling the truth, and who is being misled. I know the commissars will say it is their “preaching” to the masses that are effecting the workers of America. They will take the credit for their articles in Pravda. I’m sure all of American’s read it from front to back every day.”
    “Ha even I don’t believe their crap. Why would a bunch of capitalist pigs do so? Just look at what the French have compared to us. Imagine what the American’s must have. Ah Dim, it will not be a good meeting. I think I will have to buy some better vodka and hope for the best. Egorov loves his vodka.”

2. Hairog

Hairog Member

A safe house in Toronto Canada

“How is Operation Spy Glass going Dave?”
    “From what I understand it's pretty hit and miss. But it provides checks and balances and more importantly it gives us the latest data we can get. Ironically it works best when the guards come to check on the room. They turn the lights on and walk around making sure no one or nothing is in the room. So our view is unobstructed for a good 5 minutes with good light. Our luck extends even further.”
    “And why is that?”
    “The cleaning lady keeps the room spotless including the light fixture. There is no dust build up what so ever and we get clean shots almost every time.”
    “Ha, so her diligence gives us one of our most accurate sources and condemns thousands of here country men to their deaths. Exactly how was this way of peeking at what the Americans are doing discovered anyway?”
    “Quite by an amazing accident. It was an amateur astronomer who happened to be the night guard in the Washington Monument. He was allowed to keep his telescope in the storeroom and his supervisor let him stargaze at night from the monument on his time off. Quite innocent really. One day he was fixing something on the telescope when as it was pointed at the White House and he happened to catch some movement. When he focused in he saw that he was looking through a gap in the window dressing and at a reflection off a light fixture, and it gave him a great view of the map table and one of the walls in the map room of the President. He came down immediately and told his supervisor. His supervisor assured him that it would be taken care of. That night the fellow had a terrible accident when he tripped in front of a speeding car that did not stop and killed him instantly and drove on. A hit and run, as they say.”
    “Ha… I get it, and the Supervisor is agent Monty of course. No wonder he has such good information. That is truly a piece of good luck and truly amazing. But how long can this last? We can’t count on the maid being so diligent or something being moved.”
    “Its loss would be most regrettable, but we have dozens of other minor ways to find out where and when the air raids are going to be staged. This is just one piece of the puzzle. Maior Nikitin and his staff gather all the information and put the pieces together. So far there have been remarkably few raids, so it has been easy, and we have been able to intercept them and defend the targets as you know. All of the major raids are discussed by the White House Staff. From what I understand there are at least 23 well placed janitors, house cleaners, maids, cooks etc. who funnel the information through Monty, and he has the radio.”
    “Well so far it has worked. As they say “one can’t jump over one’s head”. We have to do our best and keep all the information flowing to Monty and Maior Nikitin. That is how we will keep the motherland safe from enemy atomic bombs. They are surely the work of the devil even if there is no devil.”

3. Hairog

Hairog Member

I Have No Interest

“I have no interest in boats and navies. The guidance system is designed for shooting down bombers over friendly territory. If one of the missiles got into the enemies hands, they might just be able to figure out how to counter act the system, and that would be catastrophic. Comrade Stalin knows this and has assured me that this warhead will only be used in territories that can be controlled by us. It is too risky I tell you to have this technology get into the enemies hands. No, I won’t allow it.”
    “Friend Sergo we need your guidance system to use with our air launched V1 program. If we could guide those missiles imagine how much havoc they could wreak on the capitalist navies. Why we could keep them a hundred miles from our shores…”
    “What shores? We have none to speak of. It is a ridiculous suggestion and not worth the effort or the chance. We are a land power, not a naval one. Let the NATO pigs have their oceans. We have no need of them. “
    “But what if they get into the Black Sea or the Baltic? Then what will you say? Will you deny us a weapon that we can use to stop an invasion on Soviet soil? I would be warned Sergo Peshkov. I would at least prepare for the eventual use of your guidance system against naval forces. I think comrade Stalin would agree with me on this point … no?”
    “Well alright Novikov. I will see that a test program is started, and yes I have no doubt that the system will work on boats as well as bombers. But again, I caution that we cannot use these warheads over enemy territory, or anywhere where they may be compromised and that comrade Stalin will agree with me, I will guarantee it. We have a new trick, by the way. We’ve added some false radio and radar signals. The bombers will be so busy trying to sort things out that the true nature of the guidance will not be discovered.”
    “You are exceptionally proud of yourself aren’t you Sergo? I would be careful that you do not dislocate your arm trying to pat yourself on the back. We should hear about the attack on Toulouse soon and then maybe I will reach over and pat your back for you Sergo.”

4. Hairog

Hairog Member

Meeting Molotov
    (foreign relations)

Lavrenti Beria (NKVD), Georgii Malenkov (politburo politics), Nikita Khrushchev, Andrei Zhdanov, Nikolai Voznesenskii, and Aleksei Kuznetsov, Mikoyan (Red Army logistics),Kaganovich (industrial Czar)

Kremlin

In attendance: Molotov, Mikoyan, Kaganovich , Malendov, Beria, Bulganin (minister for Armed forces) and Krushchev
    The ruling 7 as they sometimes are referred to met as they always did when Stalin was not in Moscow. Stalin was having one of his many “attacks” but still ruled with an iron hand but left the day to day operation of the USSR up to the oligarchy that was the made up of the 7.
    By order of Stalin they had just seen the movie Volga! Volga! again for the 47th time by their count. It wasn’t the same without Stalin acting out all the parts and that was the best part of the evening so far.
    After dinner the conversation turns to America and it’s seemingly lack of military response.
    Molotov pontificates: “I tell you it is our comrades in the US who are slowing down production just like we planned. They have convinced a large number of American workers that the old gutted Europe is not worth fighting for again. They did it once but no again. They have spent a over 300 billion dollars they don’t have on the last war and it will only be worse this time. They have to make money or their system will collapse. The whole capitalist system depends on using the worker and profiting off his labor. The workers are finally seeing the true nature of capitalism. Their war bond sales can only take them so far. The American public is sick of war.”
    “Da Molotov is correct. It must be the answer. Why else would they not be producing enough weapons and joining to fight us. The workers must be convinced that the communist way is the way of the future and they are just trying to hasten the workers ascension over the moneyed whores. Look at how their own soldiers rioted when they did not get them home fast enough and when Truman tried to slow the demobilization down he was defeated by his own supporters. I must be the answer otherwise they would surely have pushed us back in the Pyrenees or at least attempted to. Instead they are losing ground every day. In months we will be through those cursed mountains and nothing will stop us. Italy is ours now and Greece will follow soon. They must feel that all is lost and are ready to talk with us about the future.”
    “With the successful destruction of their atomic bomb program and the acceleration of ours they must know that the end is here for the capitalist system in Europe and they will have to see to their own skins. Some of my agents are trying to infiltrate the unions but that door has been closed shut for now by the FBI despite that fairy Hoover being shot. Too bad for once he did a adequate job just before he was halted.”
    “If I may Beria…lets concentrate on their military options shall we? First without their atomic bomb we have a realistic chance of stopping their bombers now that we have the weapons we need to at least reach their planes. Soon they will only be able to field forces from either England or Spain to try and gain back Europe. Scandinavia will soon fall from the reports I’ve seen and …”
    “We’ve heard that before Nikita. Perhaps you should take personal charge of the War in the North and provide us with your heroics like you did at Stalingrad eh comrade.”
    “Don’t belittle my service Beria. I saw war first hand unlike you hiding behind your secrete police and NKVD troops. I know the smell of death by bomb and bullet first hand all you know is death by torture.”
    “Enough old friends let’s get back to the business we have come here for. Stalin will not be pleased if we don’t come to some conclusions and report by 3:00am. You know he will still be awake and expecting us to report so do we have a consensus that it appears the Americans are having trouble mobilizing their forces for another all-out war and that comrade Stalin was correct again about their will to fight for the same ground they have already fought over? No objections then? Good!”

5. Hairog

Hairog Member

Chapter 22 Preparations

“What have we here Dimi?”
    “It is a list of the British squadrons.”
    “This is useful information eh?”
    “Yes our agents are providing us with many bits and pieces from which to put together a nice little picture of just how prepared the British are.”
    “They have moved many of their bomber squadrons out of England. Maybe it is to avoid them being destroyed.”
    “Yes it appears to be so.”

------------------ TOP SECRET----------------

Royal Air Force HQ
    London
    Aug. 5th , 1946

Report on Historical Squadron Strength

Stationed in the British Isles at the start of hostilities May 2nd, 1946

7 squadrons of Meteors
    1 squadron of Vampires
    30 squadrons of Spitfires
    4 squadrons of Mustangs
    1 squadron of Tempests
    7 squadrons of Hornets
    8 squadrons of Mosquitoes
    9 squadrons of Mosquito night fighters
    20 squadrons of Lancaster bombers
    13 squadrons of Lincoln bombers

100 squadrons
    1232 combat aircraft

Stationed in Germany

3 squadrons of Tempests
    2 squadrons of Spitfires
    6 squadrons of Mosquitoes

136 combat aircraft

Stationed in France

1 squadron of Meteors
    1 squadron of Spitfires
    1 squadron of Tempests

40 combat aircraft

Stationed in Norway

2 squadrons of Spitfires

27 combat aircraft

Stationed in Italy

1 squadron of Tempests
    1 squadron of Mustangs
    1 squadrons of Hurricanes
    1 squadron of Mosquito night fighters

45 combat aircraft

Stationed in Austria

2 squadrons of Spitfires

30 combat aircraft

Stationed in the Far East (Java, Hong Kong, Japan, Malay)

5 squadrons of Spitfires
    4 squadrons of P47s
    2 squadrons of Mosquitoes
    2 squadrons of Hurricanes
    1 squadron of Tempests

181 combat aircraft

Stationed in India

2 squadrons of Spitfires
    2 squadrons of Mustangs
    1 squadron of Tempest

58 combat aircraft

Stationed in Mediterranean (Malta, Palestine, Greece)

1 squadron of Tempests
    1 squadron of Spitfires
    2 squadrons of Mustangs
    2 squadrons of Lancaster bombers
    1 squadron of B24 bombers

84 combat aircraft

Stationed in Egypt

2 squadrons of Spitfires
    1 squadron of Mustangs
    1 squadron of Mosquitoes
    4 squadrons of Lancaster bombers
    1 squadron of Lincoln bombers

142 combat aircraft

Stationed in South Africa

1 squadron of Spitfires

10 combat aircraft

Stationed in Sudan

1 squadron of Mosquitoes

12 combat aircraft

Current Squadron Strength

Stationed in the British Isles at the start of hostilities

10 squadrons of Meteors
    2 squadron of Vampires
    42 squadrons of Spitfires
    10 squadrons of Royal Auxiliary Air Force Spitfires
    8 squadrons of Mustangs
    6 squadrons of Tempests
    9 squadrons of Hornets
    9 squadrons of Mosquitoes
    11 squadrons of Mosquito night fighters
    5 squadrons of Lancaster bombers
    1 squadron of Lincoln bombers

113 squadrons
    1487 combat aircraft

Stationed in the Far East (Java, Hong Kong, Japan, Malay)

5 squadrons of Spitfires
    4 squadrons of P47s
    2 squadrons of Mosquitoes
    1 squadron of Tempests

152 combat aircraft

Stationed in India

2 squadrons of Spitfires
    2 squadrons of Mustangs
    1 squadron of Tempest

72 combat aircraft

Stationed in Mediterranean (Malta, Palestine, Greece)

2 squadron of Tempests
    3 squadron of Spitfires
    2 squadrons of Mustangs

81 combat aircraft

Stationed in Egypt

4 squadrons of Spitfires
    4 squadron of Mustangs
    3 squadron of Mosquitoes
    14 squadrons of Lancaster bombers
    14 squadron of Lincoln bombers

40 squadrons
    587 combat aircraft

Stationed in South Africa

1 squadron of Spitfires

10 combat aircraft

Stationed in Sudan

1 squadron of Mosquitoes

12 combat aircraft

6. Hairog

Hairog Member

“So how goes the preparations Novikov?

Do you have all you need to give us a smashing victory?”
    “Yes we have over 7000 aircraft at our disposal. Combined with the knowledge of how the Germans were defeated it should be smashing victory indeed comrade Stalin.”
    “What will we be doing to avoid the errors of the Luftwaffe? I know we have much larger numbers as do the British. I do not want to hear any news of failure Novikov. You have the finest equipped and trained forces that have ever been assembled. I understand that our engineers have increased the range of certain models? “
    “Yes comrade many of our fighters have been fitted with auxiliary tanks attached to the wing. This gives them an additional 600 liters of fuel. More than enough to reach all of southern England and beyond with time for the fight once they get there. In the case of the Yak 9, a new model has been developed called the Yak 9 DD, and it has a longer range than the Yankee Mustang. Yes, with all of these developments there is no part of the British Isles that is beyond our reach.”
    “Very good Novikov.”
    “We will not make the same mistakes the Germans did. Their radar will be our first targets. The Sturmoviks will make short work of them along with any anti-aircraft guns that may be protecting them. We can detect where the radar is emanating from and can use it to discover their location. The only way to disguise themselves is to shut their radar down which serves the purpose anyway. With our numerical superiority we will cover their airbases at all hours. We will hover over their bases day and night. So even if their Meteor or Vampire models are pitted against our piston aircraft it will be similar to what they did to the early German jets. You shoot them down when they are landing or taking off. Even a P3 or Tu2 can destroy a Meteor when it is on the ground or clawing for altitude. It will be a continuous effort both day and night, and we will not be lured into attacking their cities and factories. We will only concentrate on their fighters until they are destroyed and we gain absolute mastery of the air.”
    “Doesn’t their radar and organization give them an advantage over ours comrade? We all have seen the movies with the women in uniform pushing the wooden blocks here and there and by doing so defeating the Hun.”
    “Until we destroy their radar sites yes, but we counter this by overwhelming concentrations. Concentrations they cannot match even with a maximum effort. We can concentrate on up to 4 areas with more power than they can produce in one. Unlike the propeller, driven fighters of times past the new jets need concrete runways. They cannot take off from any cow pasture, and all of these facilities are known through our agents. Like us they have a limited number of jets. Once they are destroyed on the ground or while landing or taking off our conventional planes are more than a match for the best equipment they have in greater numbers. Our jets fly air superiority while the fighters seek out their fighters and the ground attack aircraft destroy anything that is on the ground. We know that the Germans were very close to winning the last Battle of Britain when they were diverted from their task. We shall not be diverted away from our main goal of destroying their Fighter Command.”
    “Hum…I see…what do you estimate the losses and time involved till we reach air superiority over the English?”
    “We will lose two pilots for every Englishmen comrade. The battle will be fought over enemy territory, and many of our wounded planes will not make it back while the English will be able to land in friendly territory and possibly rejoin the fight. Because of this it will take 3 months to subdue them if they continue to fight till the bitter end.”
    “Well we are committing over 4 pilots per English pilot so be victorious in the finish, no?”
    “Yes comrade your math is correct as always.”
    “Still no sign of the US joining in the fight so now is the time to strike.”
    “But you have given them a deadline sir?”
    “Pah. How soon can we begin operations in earnest?”
    “The first blows can fall in three weeks comrade.”
    “Da. That will be a good time to start. We can fly better in adverse weather than they can. After all, we have had much practice in the Ukraine.”

7. Hairog

Hairog Member

Chapter 23
    Toulouse

Eye witness report
    August 5th, 1946
    Jean-Pierre Fontaine
    Farmer
    Toulouse France

Our agents were able to find a survivor of the Toulouse raid, and after several hours they were able to acquire some useful information. The following are the events in Mr. Fontaine’s words translated into English.

It was early in the morning, and I was tending to the cows. There had been many air fights over the past weeks, so I didn’t think anything of it when I first heard many aircraft engines. Then the noise was joined by a decidedly odd sound like a low rumble and I started to scan the sky for the source of the noise.
    Pillars of fire were erupting from the place where Dubois used to farm. It had been taken over by the Russians about a week ago, and Dubois was put in jail. The then we heard the roar of many, many American bombers and fighter planes along with hundreds of jets and Russian fighters.
    Never had I seen such numbers before.

The battle was much lower in the sky than usual, so it was easier to see what was happening. The pillars of fire turned out to be rockets. Once they left the ground and flew for a few seconds, they seemed to be under the control of the devil. They streaked straight for the American bombers. It was uncanny how they managed to hit the bombers destroying them instantly. The ones that hit seemed to have a mind of their own.
    There were about 30 rockets and many hit bombers, but the brave Americans kept on flying in formation even with large gaps in their numbers they still kept on coming. Meanwhile, the fighters from each side dueled and died. I saw 2 dozen planes crash myself.

Then the bombs started to fall. They came down like a curtain, and they just rolled along exploding and gradually getting closer and closer to Toulouse. As I said there were many gaps in the formation, so the curtain was not perfect and gaps appeared where no bombs fell. While right next door the whole neighborhood was destroyed, but small untouched patches of houses were not touched directly.

My farm is on the East side of Toulouse, and the bombers started to bomb from the West. At first it looked like we were to be spared, but alas it was not to be.
    Note: Mr. Fontaine’s entire family was killed, and his farm destroyed. Dead are his wife and his 14 year old daughter.

The noise was beyond description, and in fact my ear drums burst shortly after the bombs reached my farm. All I could do was to stand and watch in horror as my whole life…my family disappeared from this earth. I was knocked to the ground and lost consciousness.

When I awoke there was utter silence. I could not even hear my heart beating. I thought I was dead. Then I opened my eyes and saw the hell that was my farm. I fought in the first Great War and spent time in the trenches. It was like awaking in a nightmare. I was transported back to no-man’s land once again. Nothing moved for miles. I will never forget the nightmare that my life has become.

8. Hairog

Hairog Member

Report Ground to Sky Missile Site #4
    Near Toulouse France
    August 5th, 1946
    10:05 hours
    By General Georg Malyshev

Commander of Ground to Sky Missile Battery Number One
    Missile site was operational on September 2nd at 09:32 hours.

At launch minus 3 hours, 30 V3 (Wasserfal) missiles were installed. At launch minus 1 hour the missiles guidance systems where calibrated and prepared to receive their fuel. The operators were on duty starting on September 5th at 04:00 hours.

Radar reported multiple targets in route from the West at 5,000 meters and a speed of 400 kph at 7:12 hours. The enemy formations were on time and on target just as we had been told to expect. As predicted they were of the B17 type bomber.
    The skies were clear and visibility was unlimited.

Missiles were launched in volleys of 5, in a dispersed pattern, at 15 second minute intervals. This allowed the missile operators to follow their assigned missile and choose their targets. 8 missiles were lost before the Columba system could take over flight control.

The Columba system appeared to fail on 9 units, and they passed harmlessly through the formation.

8 missiles performed as designed and were guided to their targets. 5 more were partially successful and damaged their targets.

Without prior knowledge about the direction, time and altitude of the enemy bomber raid, our success rate would be far less. It takes hours to fuel the rockets and they cannot stay on stand-by for days at a time. We also have to know the direction of the raid in order to send the missiles in the correct direction before the guidance system locates the bombers. If the missiles were launched in the wrong direction initially the guidance system would not be able to see the targets in time.

In addition, the knowledge of what type bomber the target is increased our hit rate by a factor of 100%. Without this prior knowledge, we would have to set the proximity fuse to a different and not as accurate setting.

I must stress that the prior knowledge that we are receiving is crucial to what success we have with the V3 Wasserfall. Without this knowledge, I estimate out success rate would be less than 10%.

9. Hairog

Hairog Member

Results
    Aug. 5th, 1946
    16:23 hours
    8th Air Corps HQ
    London

“Gentlemen listen up. What’s the short version Norm?”
    “Well sir we accomplished our mission but with unacceptable losses?”
    “Give me the bad news first.”
    “We lost 216 aircraft out of 800. Most were bombers. 109 where shot down outright. Another 26 were damaged beyond repair. We lost 66 fighters out of 300. Another 15 are write offs. The most damaging part was those damn missiles that seemed to target our lead bombers. Almost every flight leader was targeted with many of them being hit. It appears to be a conscious effort by the Reds to bring down the pathfinders and leadership of the raid. So even though we estimate around 30 ground to air missiles were fired only 12 or so actually hit anything, but what they hit was our flight leaders. Of the hundreds of air to air missiles fired by the medium bombers and a few heavy Pe 8s and again a very small percentage hit but what they hit was devastating to the raids leadership.
    “Is that it for the bad news?”
    “Yes Sir.”
    “Alright let’s hear the good.”

“We accomplished our mission. Despite being outnumbered, and those hellish directed missiles, Toulouse was heavily damaged and their supplies, railroad rolling stock and switching yard are totally destroyed. As I said the mission was accomplished. We also gave as good as we got. We estimate that out of 1000 enemy fighters, medium bombers and the Pe 8s 250 were shot down. “
    “Yes but at what cost? We can’t afford many more “victories” like that. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised that they had unusually heavy anti-air and fighter assets in the area. After all, it is within spitting distance to the Pyrenees. I can’t say I’m looking forward to writing all those letters to the families of the Flight Leaders.”
    “I can’t say I envy that part of your job.”
    “Thanks Bill. Gentleman what other things are on the agenda?”
    “Sir if I may ask a question?”
    “Yes Bob. We’re all friends here.”
    “Why was this raid done with B17s and not 29s? I would think that our losses would have been much less.”
    “That’s a good question Bob and one that I really shouldn’t answer in this meeting. But what the hell there will be a formal announcement soon so I’ll let my HQ Staff hear it first. There is a new component of the US Army being formed. The strategic arm of the Army Air Forces will become the Strategic Air Command and become a fourth autonomous force within the US Army. That leaves the Army Air Forces with all its tactical air assets in place. For now fighter bomber, interdiction, fighter sweeps, close air support, local air superiority and such will stay with the Army Air Forces. Strategic bombing against the enemy’s infrastructure will be handled by the new Strategic Air Command or SAC. They have been assigned the B29 groups and most of the long range fighter and jet aircraft for escorts. They are separating themselves as we speak and setting up shop in their new offices in the Pentagon. They are being highly selective in their personnel, and you may or may not be asked to join or to stay with the Army Air Forces. Much of this will depend on rather intrusive background checks from what I understand. So whether or not you are chosen depends upon what your neighbors, close friends, relatives, third grade teacher and nanny have to say about you. It seems that this background check and not your competence will be the determining factor. “
    “That’s a lot to digest General. Why the sudden decision?”
    “From what I understand it is felt that a new fresh set of eyes, ears and tight lips, if you catch my drift, are needed to solve our strategic bombing problems. I caution every one of you…If any word of what I just said reaches any one outside of this room our military careers and possibly our freedom will come to an end. This is considered highly classified, and you 10 are the only ones I trust with this information. This is not to be mentioned again until any official announcement is made. So unless you are being transferred to SAC you will not be seeing the B29 in action. They will be using different facilities and supply chains etc. It’s all designed to compartmentalize the operation and to keep loose lips from sinking …er … you get the picture.”

“Are we suspected of being commies Sir!”
    “Well son the top brass is not taking chances. We need to shut down the leaks, and we need to do it now. Our losses are unsustainable and way out or whack compared to the Brits so there is something rotten in Denmark and this will hopefully solve the problems. If you are not asked to join SAC then I would consider talking to your nanny and find out what she has been saying about you. That’s all gentleman it is out of my hands. Good luck.”

10. Hairog

Hairog Member

Come in and report Nicolai.

“Yes Sir. Reports from the field say we shot down over 150 bombers and 111 of NATO's fighters comrade. Toulouse was destroyed, and the few remaining supplies and units were destroyed as well.”
    “So everything went well then?”
    “Yes comrade our ground to air missiles performed as expected. We were able to use the wire guided system to allow the missiles to close upon the lead bombers in each group. Then the internal system took over. Our hit ratio was not inspirational, but what they destroyed was highly significant. Most of their lead bombers and path finders where destroyed. “

“I have other reports Nicolai that have much lower figures of enemy aircraft destroyed comrade. What do you say to that?”
    “I only have the reports from the pilots, anti-aircraft guns and missile sites to base my report on sir.”
    “Ha. Those reports are always too large. Well the main point of the plan was to let the bombers destroy what they think are tons of supplies and to demonstrate that we can cover every little insignificant area with our missiles and fighter as well as AA fire.”
    “Again sir the majority of the enemy’s losses were accomplished by our brave fighter pilots. The missile units were more of a scalpel aimed at the leadership of the bomber forces. If you hit the head, the body will follow, as our boxing instructor always told us.”
    “Enough of your babble Nicolai. I saw from my vantage point some pretty large explosions. Exactly what did we leave behind to cause such fireworks? “
    “Strategically placed gasoline barrels, worn out tires and worn out equipment. Much like the movies comrade. Much of it was for show. Lots of explosions and smoke designed to convince the enemy that they had done their job. The men left behind were the penal units and the civilians so there will be bodies for their spies to observe. The power of the pattern bombing is a sight to behold. I’m glad it was not done on one of our frontline units. Casualties were high among the penal units and civilians. Why sir did we not just evacuate the whole area and placed more anti aircraft units to shoot down more bombers?”

“We did not want to show them our plan. We had to make it appear that all the anti-air units and fighter units were there normally and that they can expect this kind of opposition where ever they try and bomb. There is a story about Winston Churchill doing the same thing. He is said to have known about a raid by the Germans, but he didn’t want to put his spies at risk, so he let tens of thousands of his fellow countrymen die in a massive bombing raid. It is only rumor, but I think it is true myself. Maybe the French will start to get angry at NATO for bombing all their cities. I read a report that over 20,000 French civilians were killed in the bombing and shelling before their D-Day. Amazing that they still fight us.”
    “Some terrible new comrade Marshal. A stray bomber let his bombs go off target, and we believe that, by accident, they hit the Ground Missile Site #4. Sir I’m sorry to inform you that your son was killed along with Maior Shumilov. I grieve for the loss of you son and I know the Maior a close friend as well sir. My condolences.”
    “Ah Nicolai … very distressing news indeed… leave me for a while please…”
    “Of course comrade Marshal … of course.”

11. Hairog

Hairog Member

Battleship Giulio Cesare
    Regia Marina base
    Augusta, Sicily
    August 15th, 1946

Excuse me, Admiral. We have received a telegram from Rome. The replacement Russian team will be arriving tomorrow night. The transfer date is still the same.
    So we are still required to turn our ship over to the Russians on the 25th, and I am ordered to retire the next day. The Russian have demanded all senior officers that served during the fascist era be removed. Did we ever find out what happened to the first group, Lieutenant?
    Yes, Sir. The wreckage of an aircraft matching the type they were on was found by a fishing boat 4 days ago.
    NATO?
    We believe so, Sir. The NATO blockade is finally starting to tighten. But there wasn’t really enough wreckage recovered to be sure.
    What is that? Are those aircraft?
    Yes, Sir. They are NATO reconnaissance aircraft out of Malta. So far they have made regular daily flights over most of our naval bases. They also have picket submarines and destroyers patrolling to make sure none of our ships leave port.
    But they allow the fishing ships to leave?
    Yes, Sir. NATO made it clear that they did not want our people to suffer.
    What a noble statement; yet they cut of the food shipments from the UNRRA.
    That is true, Sir. But they also cut the UNRRA food aid to the Yugoslavians. While we will all get thinner this winter, the Yugoslav are now starving.
    Good, let those bastards starve. Take Trieste will they. We will not forget that insult.

12. Hairog

Hairog Member

The Boxer
    August 10th, 1946
    Gorky Park
    Bench 287

The leaves are starting to turn and the air is full of the smells of fall. Two lone figures sit on the bench in animated conversation. It is clear from their manner that this conversation is not to be overheard. Not far away agents of the NKVD are stationed to keep roving eyes and ears out of range.

One of the debaters is a big man with big features. You would have no trouble seeing the former heavy weight boxer he was. He is not a figure who blends in well in a crowd. He is also not the type of person that you can ignore. Yet his advice is being ignored.

In contrast the other is a weasel of a man. Small close set eyes and fast movements with extreme hand gestures that distract most people from listening to what he has to say. Over the years he has climbed his way through the Communist Party leadership. What he lacks in physical stature he more than compensates for in political stature. He is not a man who can be easily intimidated anymore.

Both men are wary of each other like the boxer that one once was and the political animal that the other has become and whose skills he has mastered. To most ears the conversation would not make much sense yet the outcome would have major consequences for the winning or losing of World War Three. In the end both are just guessing. It’s a roll of the dice as to who history is going to label one a military genius and the other one of the greatest fools of all time.

If the dice roll one way the view point of the Boxer will look like he possessed a crystal ball. If the dice roll the other way his name will be lost and his logic will never see the light of day. The same is true for the Weasel. If his number is rolled he will be hailed as the greatest military mind of World War Three. If his number fails to be rolled he will be looked at as the French General Maurice Gamelin of World War Three. A General who used old ideas to fight a new war.

But what are these new realities and whose vision will turn out to be brilliant and who’s will turn out to have the same effect as General Gamelin’s? If the right choices are made recent developments by Sergo Peshkov and his team will win the war for Stalin. If the wrong choices are made it doesn’t matter how many breakthroughs or new weapons systems are developed.

The Boxer lives in a world of simple rules and logic. You need certain basic necessities to run a modern military. The Weasel lives in a world of politics where ideas matter more than logic. Where the human mind is more important than any physical reality. If you think you are defeated then you are.

Both viewpoints have won wars in the past. And both have also lost wars in the past. Once again a choice has to be made.

13. Hairog

Hairog Member

Chapter 25
    Leningrad Raid

Eye witness report
    August 16th, 1946
    Bombardier Sergeant Matt Henley in a pathfinder B29
    USAAF Raid #1 of WWIII
    Target Leningrad, USSR

Raid composed of 224 B29, 2 B29 Silverplates, 52 P51 escorts. A Mark III atomic bomb was loaded on one of the Silverplates.
    The beginning of the raid was uneventful. We took off from Lechars and made our way east to Swedish airspace near Stockholm. The pre-placed fighters took off from the airfield in Sweden were waiting at altitude and everything was nominal. Radio silence is maintained.

We formed up with the fighter escort and headed East over the Black Sea and observed bogies forming as we hit the Gulf of Findland.
    Near Gogland Island, what looked like V2 rockets, started to launch from the island.

I know what a V2 looks like because I had seen them launch in the last war.

These rockets appeared to be smaller and in addition they seemed to be vectoring in towards our bomber formation. A number seemed to be purposely being directed towards individual bombers. Kind of like they were…guided by someone. I caught a glimpse what seemed to be a wire coming out the rear of the rockets yet when they got close the wires fell off. This did not seem to divert the missiles trajectory and they just keep on coming and even seemed to be compensating for lead just like someone shooting ducks.

It was the damdest thing I’ve ever seen.

I counted about 30 of these coming up from the island. About 10 of these exploded on or near the B29s near the middle of the formation. I saw Pete plane “Knickers” explode with no survivors and Jim Sheppard lost both engines on the port side and went straight down. I counted 3 chutes until they disappeared into a cloud.

The other 20 or so missiles seemed to have missed their targets and just continued on through the formation and detonated at a higher altitude. One took out 5 of the escorts who were too close.

The whole event was so unreal that no one reacted and the remaining bombers continued on their way as if nothing had happened. I think we were all in shock and just couldn’t react.

Then I noticed that about a hundred twin engine medium bombers were closing in from below and at about a 45% angle. They pointed their noses in our direction and launched a volley of a hundred of smaller missiles at our formation again from below. I just happened to get thrown to the side and caught a glimpse of some bomber sized bogies kind of mixed in with the medium bombers kind of off at another angle also launching missiles at us.

The escorts were going crazy chasing those medium bombers but as they dived on them Franks (Yak 9’s) and Fins (La 7’s) would be in perfect position to engage them and if they followed the bombers lower they were dragged into flack traps from what I heard.

Meanwhile the new volley of missiles where getting closer and again a good number of them seemed to be steering themselves towards the bombers. Another 15 or so were hit by the first wave of missiles including the two Silverplates who were supposed to keep flying to Leningrad with a heavy escort to drop the Atomic bomb. The rest of us were just kind of decoys and were supposed to turn back before Leningrad and run for it. The Atomic bomb was supposed to do the job we came for.
    Anyway this was too much for the remainder of the formation and when the next volley of missiles from those medium bombers and those bomber jobs were launched the boxes broke up and it was every man for himself.

I hate to say it but we panicked. I saw at least 10 mid-air collisions as every B29 dodged and weaved trying to shake off those missiles that in our minds where being steered right to us. Thinking back on it now most of the missiles came nowhere close to us but just the horrifying sight of those missiles zeroing in on those ships who bought it scared the crap out of us.

As the bomber formation broke up and with all the maneuvering we lost both altitude and speed. The Reds were on us with hundreds of conventional fighters in no time flat and the flight degenerated into a series of individual fights between one or two B29s being engaged by 5 or more fighters and even some 2 engine heavy fighters at lower levels.

All resemblance of a formation ceased to exist and we ran with our tails between our legs for home. I saw at least 20 more B29s drop from the sky. We made it to Sweden on two engines but then had to ditch and 6 of the crew were rescued.

14. Hairog

Hairog Member

Report Ground to Sky Missile Site #1
    Hogland Island
    Leningrad, USSR
    August 16th, 1946
    10:05 hours
    By General Georg Malyshev
    Commander of Ground to Sky Missile Battery Number One

Missile site was operational on August 8th at 11:43 hours.

At launch minus 3 hours, 30 X missiles were installed. At launch minus 1 hour the missiles guidance systems where calibrated and prepared to receive their fuel. The operators were on duty starting on August 10th at 04:00 hours.

Radar reported multiple targets in route from the West at 10,000 meters and a speed of 400 kph at 7:12 hours. The enemy formations were on time and on target just as we had been told to expect.

The skies were clear and visibility was unlimited.

Missiles were launched in volleys of 10 in a dispersed pattern at one minute intervals. This allowed the missile operators to follow their assigned missile and choose their targets. Despite this precaution 7 missiles were lost before reaching the 8km wire release and the Columba system could take over flight control.

The Columba system appeared to fail on 8 units, and they passed harmlessly through the formation. One of these arrant missiles hit an escort fighter by chance and 4 others flying close by were damaged and eventually destroyed.

9 missiles performed as designed and were guided to their targets. 6 more were partially successful and damaged their targets.

Between the Missile Operator Corps and the Columba aiming system, the success rate for the missiles was 30% destroyed and 20% damaged.

The main purpose of the ground based missile program was a success. It created panic in the bomber forces and caused them to break formation. At least 10 mid-air collisions were observed as the bombers tried to weave and dodge away from the missiles.

The American pilots could not discern between the directed missiles and the conventional rockets fired by the TU2s. Panic ensued when the TU2s fired their undirected rockets in large numbers in the direction of the B29's.

Because of the previous behavior of the directed Columba headed missiles, we assume that the capitalist pilots thought that all the missiles were capable of being guided. This was the designed outcome for this mission, and it was a resounding success.

Once the bomber boxes where broken up by the panic of the pilots trying to avoid real or imagined threats the convention fighter force was able to pounce. Many of the bombers lost altitude while trying to elude real or imagined threats. Others dove to lower levels to avoid their own comrades. The end result was that most of the bombers were scattered, at lower altitudes, at slow speeds and in small isolated groups.

The escorts were engaged by our fighters and 13 were shot down when they followed the TU2s down to low level and into pre-set flak traps. Another 22 American escorts were claimed as victories by our fighter force.

The conclusion can only be that while the Ground to Sky Missile force did not inflict unsustainable damage it did achieve its main objective which was to break up the bomber formations. In addition, they caused 10 mid-air collisions and spread panic among the bomber forces. The end result was that the surviving bombers were at lower attitude, at much slower speeds and did not reach their target.

The entire bomber force dropped their bomb loads into the Black Sea far from land.

In addition, the Ground to Sky missiles created a screen or camouflage for the Pe9 Interceptors and their X4 missiles. With the large number of missiles and rockets coming from all directions, the Americans apparently had no idea of where the real threat was.

Addendum: One of the Missile Operators admitted after questioning that she had intentionally missed the target. She was immediately hung as an example to the other operator
    s.

15. Hairog

Hairog Member

PE9 Squadron Number One
    Field Number 384
    Leningrad Area
    August 16th, 1946
    11:46 hours
    Submitted by Maior Chistyakov
    Commander of PE9 Interceptor Squadron Number 1

Mission 1 report

Flights One, Two and Four of PE9 Squadron Number 1 took off from Leningrad at 6:45 hours in anticipation of the American bomber raid on Leningrad. They rendezvoused with the 234th and 175th Medium Bomber Squadrons flying Tu2s fitted with conventional rockets.

Each Pe9 was equipped with 2 X4 Wire Guided Sky to Sky Missiles.

Radar contact was made with the enemy bomber force at 7:12 hours. The Pe9s followed the Tu2s and acted like they were escorting the medium bombers. When visual contact was made with the bomber formation 10 km East of Hogland Island. The Tu2s and Pe9s were 2000 meters below and flying to the West paralleling the bombers course.

The American escorts did not react to the presence of the Pe9s or the Tu2s. As planned the squadrons of conventional fighters made up of Lagg 7s and Yak 9UTs were maneuvering into position for attack. This seemed to attract and keep the attention of the American forces in the area as a large portion of the enemy escorts maneuvered into position to defend their bombers from this threat.

The Ground to Sky missiles were launched from Hogland Island and as planned. The Pe9s held their fire until the first volley of ground missiles entered the bomber stream. On command, each Pe9 launched one missile from positions above and behind the TU2s.

The primary target for the first volley of Flight 1's X4 missiles where the atomic bomb laden Silverplate bombers. These were clearly identified using the information provided by the NKVD. Flight 1 targeted the lead bomber and the trailing plane. Four missiles each were launched at each bomber. Flight 4 targeted the near-by bombers.

The trailing Silverplate bomber was hit and exploded. The missiles fired at the lead bomber missed their target. One of the Ground based missiles happened to hit the lead bomber just as Squadron 1 Flight 1 of the Pe9s launched their second missile volley on the remaining Silverplate. After it became apparent that the last Silverplate was destroyed the missiles were directed into the general bomber stream with several scoring a hit.

At the same time, the Tu2s started to launch their diversionary attack. After the first volley, 30 American P51 escorts dove on the formation of Tu2s. The Pe9s who had fired their missiles withdrew under heavy fighter escort. Their orders were to appear to be observation planes but under no circumstances where they to put their planes in jeopardy and to disengage as soon as possible and return to base.

The remaining Pe9s continued to fire aimed volleys of X4 missiles unmolested by the fighter escorts who were chasing the fleeing Tu2s. The remaining missiles targeted B29 lead bombers who were still flying in formation. Dozens of bombers where hit and panic ensued within the bomber formations. It was almost impossible for the untrained eye to tell which missiles and rockets were directed and which were not.

Of the 136 missiles fired 31 hit their targets. This high rate of success was possible due to the fact that the Pe9 operators where highly trained and were virtually unmolested while they guided their missiles to their targets. This was further made possible by the diversions caused by the ground based missiles and the large volume of unguided rockets fired by the TU2s. Both of these diversions caused the Pe9s to be ignored and left unmolested to carry out their primary mission.

The combination of the Pe9 and the X4 missile was an unmitigated success as long as the Pe9 operator is allowed the time to guide the missile to the target unmolested. The utmost care must be exercised to keep the existence of these weapons and their requirements for success a total secret from the enemy.

16. Hairog

Hairog Member

8th Air Army 16th Fighter Squadron
    Soviet Army Airforce
    Combat Report
    August 16th, 1946
    17:34 Hours

INDIVIDUAL COMBAT REPORT OF Maior Nicolai Shumilov

A. Mission No. 83,16th Fighter Squadron 9 Yak 9UTs

B. Defend airspace over Hogland Island

C. Time of attack: 0730/K Altitude, 8-10,000 feet

D. I was element leader in red flight and we took off at 0625/K From the Leningrad area and flew to Hogland Island and awaited orders. We were instructed in the pre-flight to gain as much altitude as we could and be prepared to use our superior height to our advantage. We were told that the US B29 Super Fortress would be our adversary.

The prescribed method of attack was to stay 1km to the rear of the bomber and use our 38mm cannon to shoot them down. This tactic would only work if we were allowed to stay in position unmolested.

The few Mig 9s and Tu2s were to draw off the escorts to allow us to do our work. In addition the missile attacks were designed to break up the bombers formations.

For the most part the plan was a success. I was to remain virtually unmolested as I closed in on a lone B29 who had left the formation and attempted to dive to freedom. I stayed behind the bomber along with my wingman and hit the bomber with three out of 5 shots. This was enough to bring the Superfortress down into the Baltic Sea.

My wingman got too close and was hit by the bombers 20mm cannons. He had to ditch in the water and was picked up by the rescue services.

On the flight back to the rendezvous point I witnessed several similar engagements between fighters and bombers.

Two P51s chase me as I was attempting to gain altitude over Hogland Island and they finally gave up when a pair of Yak 15s chased them off shooting down one. I left the area a 0925/K.

E. I claim one B29, destroyed.

Maior Nicolai Shumilov

17. Hairog

Hairog Member

ARE YOU SHITTING ME!
    76 out of 242 bombers shot down with an atomic bombs lost along with 19 fighters. Not one bomb hit Leningrad! What the hell happened! I want answers and I want them now Norm. Get over there and interview every single surviving crew member. Oh my God what a disaster! Get me LeMay... we have to suspend all bombing missions until we figure this out.

What a mess. What a god damn mess!

18. Hairog

Hairog Member

Chapter 26
    Decisions

Mistakes are Made
    August 13th,1946
    Transcaucasian Front HQ

An imposing figure, Marshal Maslennikov in full uniform storms around his office emptying desktops of their contents with a sweep of his arm. Papers flying through the air seeming to flee his wrath. Objects slamming against the walls. Some breaking leaving shards of once priceless porcelain and ceramic objects littering the floor. His aide is the only reluctant witness to his, what can only be called, tantrum, and tries to stay out of the line of fire. The Marshal utters not a word as he systematically destroys his office in a rage.

Finally, he gains control of himself and just stands in the middle of the destroyed room breathing heavily yet not moving or saying a word. He stands stock still for 4 minutes by his aide’s watch. Slowly he takes out a comb and combs his hair back into place. His eyes seem to come back into focus, and he finally gains control enough to speak.

‘Tell Zhukov that I will of course obey his orders but stress my strongest objection to his transferring the majority of our air assets to the Channel Front. Stress again the reports of increased movement of NATO and American units to the Islands of Rhodes and Crete. Stress again the increased movement of supplies to Northern Africa. Stress again the absence of American heavy bombers in Europe and the lack of information as to their location. Stress again that under my command and protection are fully 70% of the oil production facilities of the motherland. Stress again that NATO has many bases within range of these facilities. Stress again my total and unfaltering objection to this order. Stress again ….’

‘I sent Popenchenko to convince that weasel Fedoseev. He assured me that my views were known. How can they be so blind to the threat? How can they be so stupid…?’

The Marshal‘s aide finally senses the time is right and speaks for the first time since the tirade started 10 minutes ago.
    ‘Please Marshal you will only get yourself in trouble or worse if you persist. I beg of you to follow orders as best you can, and to not stand in the way of Stalin’s wishes. Please Marshal for all our sakes.’

Maslennikov’s shoulders droop just a fraction of an inch as he again stands still for what seems like an eternity. His aide has seen this kind of body language before from his commander and knows that the danger has passed. Internally he breaths a sigh of relief for he knows the worst is over, and Maslennikov has come back to his senses. Thank god the powerful have some privacy in which to vent their frustrations. The rest of us must always be on guard and must never let them see our true feelings. Maybe that kind of passion is what makes the powerful the way they are. Always convinced they are right with never a doubt.
    Well the aide thinks. I pray that he is wrong this time.

Finally, Maslennikov speaks.

‘Order the units transferred Pavel and then clean this place up. Call my driver…I’m going home.’
    ‘Yes Marshal Maslennikov. It shall be done right away.’

19. Hairog

Hairog Member

Chapter 27
    Intimidation

Demands Are Sent
    French coast
    August 15, 1946

Just a taste of winter to come is felt in the onshore breeze. There is no doubt that winter is coming yet there is the possibility of clear skies and temperate temperatures for months to come. The Soviets have always fought well in foul weather, and the mild winters of the English Channel appear to have not entered into their debit column. In fact spending a few months on the French coast is eminently preferable to Moscow and forty below. A curious fact is that Moscow and London are within 5 degrees of latitude from each other. The difference being the warm waters of the American’s Gulf Current keeping England so comparatively mild.

The stated aims of the Soviet Army are to prevent England from being used as an airbase for the bombing of Europe and the Soviet Union. It makes no difference if it is the weather or Soviet fighters that prevent such raids from occurring. If the weather is bad then the bombers can’t take off. If it is good then the Battle for Britain II will take place. Either way there will be no bombing of Western Europe and Western Soviet Union from planes based in England, and that is just what the Stavka intends to happen.

By using both the carrot and the stick, it is hoped that the English will come to their senses and join the workers of Europe in their rebuilding effort. By making it fully known that if fighters do not rise to defend English air space and bombers do not take off from her shores the Red Army will not attack her soil.

In a startling turnabout Stalin has indicated that he will negotiate a prisoner exchange with both the US and England if his demands are met.

1. No future attacks by land, sea or air emanate from Great Britain and her empire.
    2. A six months truce is in effect.
    3. The British allow the Soviets unrestricted over flights of their territory.
    4. The immediate withdrawal of the British troops from Iberia.

A message is sent through diplomatic channels and the wait begins.

20. Hairog

Hairog Member

Yak 9 PD
    August 15th, 1946
    43,324 feet above the West Ham neighborhood of London
    Pilot Yuri Nikitin enjoys the view from his Yak 9 PD.

Time to turn back. This has been an interesting flight. I guess it has served its purpose. Interesting demonstration if you ask me. Why would you demonstrate the capabilities of a new machine to the enemy before using it in combat? Some new concept of intimidation by the Stavka. Scare them into doing what you want. Seems kind of silly to me but then I am only a pilot and no one asked me for my opinion. Surprise and delighted that everything is working like it’s supposed to. Not the usual type of circumstances. Seems like I will have no need for my bailing wire and chewing gum to keep this machine aloft. A welcome sign that the quality of our machines is improving.