Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Worst WW2 movies ever made?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Lord of War, Nov 3, 2006.

Tags:
  1. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Australia and Pearl Harbor....harbour by the way....Thats my xmas ruined in last 2 posts....Rename thread...worst 2 ww2 movies ever made...

2. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Hate that we ruined your Chrismas Urgh. If we're talking worst recent WWII movies, I think you have to add at least two more, for worst four:

Pearl Harbor
    I haven't seen it but from others reviews, Australia.
    Two of my least favorite:
    Thin Red Line-tried to watch it twice but it sucked so bad I didn't make it through. Finally decided to tough it out because I might have been missing something, greatest waste of almost three hours in my life. If the rest of my life had moved that slow I'd still be 18.
    Wind Talkers-High hopes for a modern film on the Marine Corps in WWII, great disappointment. Don't waste your time.

3. Carronade

Carronade Ace

One amusing connection, the attack on Darwin in Australia used footage from Pearl Harbor, including one shot of a battleship with twin tripod masts, either Arizona or Nevada (as I recall, not nested against another BB, so not Oklahoma).

4. urqh

I stuck with the Thin Red Line...I guess if your a marine you look at it with different eyes. Thought it was ok as a movie.

I'll add Bridge on the river Kwai....Oh gawwwwwddd...

I'm going to close the curtains and just put zulu on again on xmas day....Seasonal...

5. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Zulu, now I love that movie!

6. 36thID

36thID Member

I was VERY disappointed in Windtalkers. The subject matter had so much potential. These heros deserved much more than that meathead Nicholas Cage and slow motion explosion effects. AHHHH !!!!

I'm with you guys about Zulu, a great film !!

7. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

Yeah, I loved how "Australia" managed to portray the IJA landing one patrol of ground troops on a small island off the coast of Darwin populated solely by an orphanage for half-breed kids....took the entire Japanese air force to do that, and they still failed to neutralize that great threat! They did knock out one middle-aged ranch-hand. Its no wonder they lost the war with tactics like that!

8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yeah...they never managed to actually step foot on Aussie mainland soil...except when they were shot down or brought over as a POW...The Dutch, Kiwis, US Marines/Navy and Aussies made sure of that...Plenty of Half breed kids though, that part is unfortunately true! The chips on their shoulders are so large, the Japanese never had a chance...And...whats a ranch?

9. urqh

Ranch....burger steak...cheap ones for microwave from Tesco's

Ranch....Irish Wrench.

Ranch....American farm....they prefer to think of it as an adventerous land though.

Ranch....my local car wash with the missing letter above...Austerity..big sign. Much money to fix.

10. belasar

belasar Court Jester

A farm is used to raise crops, A ranch is used to raise livestock. A ranch hand (in Texas at least) is considered a cut above a farm hand. Crops will pretty much be where you left them the day before unless a tornado pops up. Livestock however have a mind of their own, and will use it when you are not looking.

I myself had a brief foray as a 'ranch hand' a few years ago. I was working on a golf course at the time. A small herd of about 25 head of cattle found a break in their fence, crossed a two-lane paved road, a paved runway for a small airfield, a grass runway next to it, then another 2 lane paved road to settle on our driving range where they preceeded to have a late morning brunch.

About a half dozen of us went out to ride herd on them in golf carts. It is remarkably easy to get them moving, not as easy to keep them moving for as you would turn away to catch a runner, the other would stop, turn around and head back to where they started. It took about 45 minutes and a considerable amount of cursing to get the herd across the first road and back on the grass runway where they were no longer our problem.

After which we all rode into town and shot up the saloon with our six-guns. (Actually we sat in the pro-shop drinking beer, strangely the herd kept growing in size as the afternoon wore on. By the end of the day we rode herd on a bigger herd than they had at the King Ranch)

11. urqh

I'm then a rancher without a ranch then....I'm confused it aint hard....I do have use of a ranch in that case and a farm...But they are both in the same place...Confused even further....

12. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Don't worry Belasar, whenever our Australian bretheren, and their English lackey (Urgh) talk disparagingly of our ranches I just pop "Quigley Down Under" in the DVD player. Watching this quickly puts things back in perspective. :)

In the US Urgh we generally have cattle ranches or horse ranches, I'm not exactly sure where goatherder fits in :confused:

13. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Wasn't the goatherder the one the rancher's were trying to lynch?

14. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

That would make you a Jackaroo in these parts...working on a "station"...Definition: Cattle farm usually bigger than most countries...

15. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Sorry, not changing my moniker, no way, nope! By the way what was this thread about anyway?:confused:

16. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

At the risk of totally falling off the ww2 wagon here is a true depiction of the 'cattle wars' of the early West. Just for our overseas rogues. and a few who are Down Under.

Drag-a-Long-Droopy (captioned) - YouTube

urqh likes this.
  17. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Thank you much for the link, had not seen that since I was a kid. Good stuff!

urqh likes this.
  18. belasar

belasar Court Jester

SheepHerder Propaganda!!!

19. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Ah for the Good Old Days. Droopy, Deputy Dog, Quick Draw McGraw and Dudley Do-Right! And "Beanie & Cecil" !!
    Belasar, Can't we all just get along? :)
    I'll admit, I hate mutton, give me a good thick Black Angus steak any day!
    Worst WW2 Movie? I'm thinking .............

20. lost knight

lost knight Member

Zulu .... thats's a great one.

Not WW2, but are there any thoughts about "Admiral", the Russian film just out on Kolchak?