Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2 M1 HELMET NAVY OR ARMY ??? HELP

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by ARCHANGELDM, Aug 27, 2010.

1. ARCHANGELDM

ARCHANGELDM Dishonorably Discharged

Hi all
    Once again me and my questions, but then again thats what were all here for a little help :D . I have just bought this helmet on ebay for $120 which i thought was a great price, i woul;d like your opinions on the helmet its decal and whether its navy or army.
    Also did i pay a good price the helmet painted decals are 100% original :D
    Thanks all

Dean :D

Attached Files:

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The 1941 helmet, liner and chin strap all look fine and original to me. 120 is a fair price, if it's confirmed real it's worth 200 $ + . I believe it's army, but I don't know the meaning of the star. Wait for more opinions from our ami friends, they may give you extre details . The decal looks okay, I'd be a more careful about this though, it's hard to expertise from a picture.

3. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

skipper is correct, everything is dating it to 41, cork textured would support that too, but it looks like it's sand/silica? which would post war it to korean used too..

4. ARCHANGELDM

So guys if its original which i know it to be have i got a bargain, also i was told it might be a navy captains helmet, he told me paintwork has not been touched. Anyways i just think it has alot of history and looks great

5. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

yup! could be naval, as the colouring has a certain bluishness..and great value..good helmet..

ARCHANGELDM likes this.
  6. ARCHANGELDM

Thanks the seller has just told me that there is a bluish to the green paint and that he thought that it was naval. Sniper could u help me locate the meaning of the star im looking though google now to try and find the meaning of the decal, and i know your a sea of information :D . i would much appreciate that. Also hopw can i treat the helmet so to keep it from rusting, also what can i do for the decal to keep it nice

7. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

I'll try and see what I can find, keep it out of the sunlight, other than that! just feather duster to take of excess dust..and in a glass fronted cabinet for display will look good, too..ray.

ARCHANGELDM likes this.
  8. ARCHANGELDM

Thanks ray , ive just been looking at some helmets and the funny thing is some of the japanese helmets i think from ww2 had a star i have added some pics to show you ?

Attached Files:

9. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

WW2 M1 Helmet Liners, An Overview.......
    [​IMG]
    The image above gives an overview of M1 helmet liner evolution throughout World War 2.
    Not every variation is shown; the above shows some typical examples!
    Although all very similar in appearance, there are quite a few changes to be noticed.....

Top Row, From Left to Right:

1. M1 Fix Bale with Hawley Fiber Liner, Rayon webbing, unpainted A-washers (Fixed Chinstrap is missing)
    2. M1 Fix Bale with Low Pressure Hood Rubber Liner, od3 HBT webbing, unpainted A-washers
    3. M1 Fix Bale with High Pressure Westinghouse Liner, Rayon webbing, Fixed chinstrap, unpainted perpendicular washers
    4. M1 Fix Bale with High Pressure Inland Liner, od3 HBT Webbing met Rayon Headband, unpainted A-washers

Bottom Row, From Left to Right:

5. M1 Fix Bale with High Pressure Westinghouse Liner, od3 HBT webbing, od painted A-washers
    6. M1 Fix Bale with High Pressure Mine Safety Appliances Company Liner, od3 HBT webbing, mildew inhibited (blackened) A-washers
    7. M1 Swivel Bale with High Pressure Westinghouse Liner, od3 HBT webbing, mildew inhibited (blackened) A-washers, Adjustable Nape Strap .....I found this guide to WWII liners dean, useful to know..

10. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

1 star would represent a brigadier general..but the star is not what you'd expect to see painted...more like this design below, I'd have thougt..

[​IMG]

11. ARCHANGELDM

So does that mean its a fake, i wouldnt of thought that someone would fake paint a star 60 years ago , maybe on the ship they didnt have any brigadier stars left in metal and it was self painted. Could that be a possibility ?

12. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

no I don't mean that dean, I meant the star design is not like the ones you'd see on the helmet..everything about the helmet is A1...

13. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

more like painted in this star design ..[​IMG]

14. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

[​IMG]
    another starred helmet design.. and different variants in star size and design..so they do vary..

[​IMG] some painted helmets..see how the pips on the epaulets match..

15. ARCHANGELDM

Thanks sniper i knew u would know :D well i should be very happy then with my buy.
    Once again i thank you for your knowledge and help
    Thanks

16. ARCHANGELDM

Also sniper just to know around the star there looks to be like a box around it with lighter paint ? would that be the part where it was stenciled ?

17. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

from the appearance dean, it would be more likely the helmet had another coat applied, hence the box effect? around the star....

18. ARCHANGELDM

Is that pretty normal Ray, for helmets to be re painted and do u think its period ?

19. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

that's not a problem, not unheard of? dean, the helmet is all good..no worries...