Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII Hawaiian Division to Guadalcanal

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by CurlySue, Dec 16, 2022.

1. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Would love to know more about the Army Troops from here

2. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

I’m trying to learn more about the places my Father served . Enlisted San Francisco then went to Hawaii . I’m sure he went with a smile on his face to Hawaii, knowing my Father . In fact as I listened to WWII Veterans that also went to Hawaii as a first choice- not one of them left out the fact that they were looking forward to some hula dancing and grass skirts .Anyway if anyone can look at his enlistment/ separation paper and give some more clues- it would be great ! Thank you in advance
    Copy of New document

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

CurlySue likes this.
  4. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm a battleship sailor. No tanks, we go to war with clean sheets and ice cream machines. Tough life, but somebody's gotta do it. :cool:

CurlySue likes this.
  6. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Ok - Hawaiian Division - Wikipedia, check the references at the bottom for more information
    Got it - alrighty then-Captain

7. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

He would have been in the 25th Infantry Division, the 90th Field Artillery was assigned to them when the Hawaii Division was broken up into the 24th and 25th Divisions. I don't know if they had the nickname in WWII, but my roommate at the 300F1 portion of the Special Operations Medic Course, was a reservist who'd served with them in Vietnam, and they called it the "Electric Strawberry". Their official nickname was "Tropic Lightning".
    When reading up on them it's easier to follow the component infantry regiments, 27th, 35th and 161st after 23 July 1942. Since your father was a heavy truck driver in an artillery unit (per your paperwork), they spent most of their time firing missions in support of their component infantry elements. The artillery components to the division were the 8th, 64th, 89th Field Artillery Battalions (105mm) and the 90th Field Artillery Bn (155mm). So, his battalion was heavy artillery and fired in general support, vs being teamed with a regiment in a combat team. Not a lot of actual difference for the artillerymen involved, only a battalion in direct support fires the majority of their fire missions in support of the regiment they're teamed with, the heavy battalion in general support fires in support of any of the infantry regiments engaged, plus a lot of counter-battery fire and missions against heavy fortifications.
    They didn't start arriving on Guadalcanal until 17 December 1942, towards the end of the campaign. The division didn't see combat until 10 January 1943, per the divisional history, but that's for the infantry though. I imagine they started using the guns as soon as they got there, organized and set up.

Wife's calling, gotta go. More later...

CurlySue likes this.
  8. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Hi - USMCPrice
    That makes perfect sense . I've been reading enormous amounts of Military History - - My thoughts were that my Fathers Campaign credits Follows the 25th like
    a Shadow - - Meaning they traveled the same path moving from battle to battle . Thank you very much
    have you seen my Father's enlistment/seperation paper in the other Forum Headline :Divisional Casualties ??
    If you haven't I can post it in this title LET ME KNOW .....and Hey See ya Laterrrr: