Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII Small Arms - Can you help identify these images?

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by EricBismarck, Mar 1, 2014.

1. EricBismarck

EricBismarck New Member

Hi All - I am new to this forum but I joined because I need some expert help in identifying a few images.

The following images are of 2 stamps, that are actually not stamps but propaganda labels, issued somewhere in Europe in support of, I believe, Anti-Communist resistance after WWII in Albania. The text roughly translates to "Committee of the Resistance" and SHQIPNIJA is a Northern Albanian spelling of Albania that is rarely used.

Although the labels probably never set foot in Albania itself, I was wondering if the small arms depicted on these 2 stamps are based on real equipment? - Or do they appear just to be generic drawings:

Stamp 1 - Machine Gun
    [​IMG]

Stamp 2 - Rifles.

[​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated! - I also started a sister topic to this one regarding aircraft in the appropriate forum

Thanks!

Eric

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The Machine Gun is a Browning M1917 or the Polish clone, the WZ.30. The WZ.30 continued to be manufactured for the Germans after Poland fell and I think most of them went to their Romanian allies. It would seem more likely a WZ.30 would end up in post-war Albania.

It's impossible to say what the rifle is because the guy is covering the action with his arm. The barrel has been cut down, probably for concealment.

3. Dave55

Dave55 Member

4. EricBismarck

EricBismarck New Member

Thanks guys - this is helpful.

I know that the Americans and British were supplying the Albanian resistance during WWII with arms. Post WWII I think it was mainly just anti-communist propaganda (no arms).