Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Recruitment, Draft, and Discharge

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by julielynn79, May 5, 2015.

1. julielynn79

julielynn79 New Member

Hello,

Does anyone have information or knowledge on restrictions for recruitment and draft? Specifically height, weight, health and psychological and Army.

What are some things, like health or psychological problems, that might have held someone back from being able to enlist or be drafted?

What injuries would send a soldier home verses holding them to join another platoon?

Any information is welcome!

Thanks so much

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Do you mean a particular military?

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Found this for 4-F deferments:
    The 4-F Classification
    After the draft was instituted in 1940, not all of the young men who registered were accepted into the service. Thirty percent of registrants across America were rejected for physical defects. The 4-F classification was given primarily for muscular and bone malformations, hearing or circulatory ailments, mental deficiency or disease, hernias, and syphilis.
    http://www.nebraskastudies.org/0800/frameset_reset.html?http://www.nebraskastudies.org/0800/stories/0801_0106.html

4. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

I understand we are more focusing in the era of World War II, but I am using this as an example that seems appropriate. An example of this kind of restraint, 4-F classification, is when my uncle was rejected from the service during the Vietnam War because he had flatfoot.
    During WWII and the Korean War people who had flatfoot were definitely rejected on the basis of this condition