Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Fury (2014)

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Deelite, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Yeah, I'd agree. Form and function.
    Germany made some beauty shit.

Luger
    Tiger 1 and 2
    FW 190
    BF 109G

But the most beauty in these eyes:
    Thompson machine gun.
    1911 .45
    Ma Deuce

2. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

One thing that I always saw the beauty in was the Stuart tank and the P-40 fighter plane. Ooooo clean!

One thing that I really appreciated was that the infantrymen were depicted fairly accurate in their appearance. Looks like the actors/extras slept in their clothes for several months before shooting the scene. That's how it really gets, not like in most war movies when the actors look like they just got back from supply where they drew fresh uniforms, or just hopped out of the barber's chair with their perfect hair and clean shaven faces. Of course the scope of the movie was probably less than a week, most of those ground pounders were going at it every since they came ashore at Normandy. They really looked the part. Not too sure about the seemingly lack of overall and frequent lack of discipline displayed though. No doubt that it existed, but in the town where the dinner scene took place, the troops broke down and went "cave man" almost immediately. Of course I figure that the director had to show that in order to get the viewers to see that in war such things take place, and that US/Allied troops were not always knights in shining armor, and that Germans were not always the bad guys. Well, bad guys of course since we were fighting them, but not always bad guys in general, except for the SS types who nobody really liked. After the Battle of the Bulge, it was almost a standing order, or just unofficial SOP to not take SS men as prisoners at all in most US units after the Malmedy thing. Seems like in Fury that sentiment is portrayed strongly.

I'm not knocking the movie, or trying to pick it apart in a negative way. I know it's not the best war movie to hit the theaters, but there's just something about it that sticks with me. While walking out of the theater Friday with my buddy, I said to him that I really don't think that I missed anything by not being in combat. He whole-heartily agreed. Not much glory and honor about being in the front part of a shooting war, just surviving and going home was all that mattered. And making sure your buddies make it too. No flag, mom or apple pie. Felt the same way while walking out of Saving Private Ryan. The opening and closing scenes of that movie will always stick with me too. I just like talking and reading about things like that. Kind of weird sometimes you know.

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Well, good or bad, the movie has generated some good discussion here ( if we completely ignored it, you'd know it was bad !).

Seeing it has spurred me to do some more 'Normandy reading' ( eg History Of the 12th SS, Beevor's D-Day ).

You realize that talking about so-many-tanks-knocked-out is something we all talk about quite easily, and it's worth being reminded that being in a tank hit by high-velocity AP is way up there on the list of things I'm really glad I've never had to do............. :S!

4. Fury 1991

Fury 1991 New Member

Loved this movie. Served with the 2nd AD during Desert Storm. Does anyone here know how Wardaddy acquired those scars on his back? I do. The scene was cut from the movie where he would explain them. Lets see if anyone did their homework.

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I don't remember the reason he had burns being covered. All that I can say about it was that he and his crew were together since the North African campaign, and their experiences were verbally covered by the crew in detail after their landing at Normandy, through the hedgerows, Falaise, and western France. Can't expect a tanker to cover that sort of territory and not getting hit at least once. Those were hairy times to be in a tank. As Willy said to Joe, "I'd druther dig, a moving foxhole attracts the eye".

6. Fury 1991

Fury 1991 New Member

Actually, Wardaddy was the survivor of a auto accident that claimed both his girlfriend and younger brother. Possibly this being a factor why it was so easy for him to give it his all at the end.

7. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Where'd you get this information? I must have missed a lot more than I thought during the popcorn run.

8. Martin Bull

Maybe it would have been a Cliche Too Far...... :XD:

A-58 likes this.
  9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

ok, I'll go and see it. The worse for me now is to get my ass to the cinema. I never go there in fact, I 'll probably get a streaming version

10. Martin Bull

It's a shame because this is definitely one of those movies which benefits from the big-screen experience. When the shooting starts, you do actually feel 'right there'.......

11. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

A lot of people here, and REAL professional movie critics made the comment that the movie had more than it's fair share of cliche's in the story line. A local critic here in the Baton Rouge paper even made mention of the fact that the well used cliches are not needed in today's World War 2 movies. How do you feel about it, and what are your cliche's of choice used that you found objectionable. Be brutal, but fair gents.

12. MLW

MLW recruit

First off, I must say that I have not yet seen the movie, but I will. The comments in this thread brought two questionns to my mind: 1) What is the likelhood of there being a Tiger I in service that late in the war? and 2) What is the likelhood that the Tiger would have been a lone tank?

Regards,
    Marc

13. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I went to see it over the weekend.

I thought the recreations of the events were good. The clothing, equipment, vehicles, and surroundings had a good "feel."

As mentioned by others, the screenplay was loaded down with cliche's and predictability to point of almost being unwatchable. Brad Pitt did not sell it to me as the sage leader of men.

14. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

A short list of major cliches. The bolded ones I feel detracted from the movie. Were most of these cliches truisms? Yes. They simply stuck too many in.

1. The new guy. As I've posted earlier it annoyed me the most. Is it true, sure. Does it give the audience someone to identify with and a reason to explain things, certainly. Does it provide a comparison between the veterans and the newbie, yep. Still from my standpoint the most annoying thing they could do save throw in a pointless love interest.

2. Hazing.

3. At least one asshole on the team.

4. Young inexperienced officer in charge of the vets.

5. Charging across open fields.

6. The reoccurring "Oh no. It's a tank shoot it with the machine gun."

6. Out of the tank boys. Lets mop up.

7. Sending the tanks out without infantry support.

8. 4 Shermans to kill a Tiger.

9. The asshole apologizes right before he dies.

10. Heroic last stand.

11. The enemy troops are all idiots.

12. The new guy survives.

15. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Havent seen it yet...but whats the hit/miss rate of the "square heads" compared to the "good guys"?

16. Takao

Takao Ace

17. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It was significant. The white hats could not have missed from a thousand yards blindfolded and the black hats could hot have hit the water in a toilet with a turd while sitting on the seat. Also, the Germans moved a lot like lemmings.

Was it me or in the final battle did it get dark in about 30 seconds?

CAC likes this.
  18. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

The black hats did have a 1 to 1 ratio against german civilians though.

19. Martin Bull

You know how it is there late in the evening in Hertfordshire with the bums still asleep against the walls of the buildings ; before even the ice wagons come by with ice for the bars ? Well, we.......

Oops - sorry ! Al lthis talk of cliches made me slip into Ernie mode....... :pipesmoke:

20. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I have not seen the movie yet, but I saw a comment elsewhere that the infantry were wearing the 30th ID patch. That's correct. Through most of the war the 30th ID and 2nd Armored were paired under the XIX Corps. That gives it special meaning to those of us with family ties to Old Hickory. My problem here is that I'm fifty miles from the nearest movie theater. I'll have to stop on my next town trip (I can't get anyone to answer the phone) and find out when and if Fury will play there.