Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Rudel. Price on his head?

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe' started by redcoat, Feb 24, 2011.

1. redcoat

redcoat Ace

I've come across the claim the Luftwaffe ace Rudel had put a price on his head of 100,000 roubles by Stalin ( its in Rudel's book, I believe)
    Is it true ?

2. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Yes it is! He was the "Demolition Man" of his time and he was a "Star". The Russians wanted to present Rudel ( no matter if as an POW or dead) to the germans to demoralise them. But it never worked.

3. dazzerjeep

dazzerjeep Member

I've just read that a bounty was put on his head by Stalin, Google Rudel ( Images ) and you should find the answer

4. lwd

lwd Ace

There was a big debate on this over on the axis history forum some time ago. From what I recall it was not conclusive.

5. dazzerjeep

dazzerjeep Member

I agree lwd, And there was no mention of the amount. I was looking at a different forum though

6. lwd

lwd Ace

I think the problem came down to no one could actually produce a Soviet document stating there was a price on his head or for that matter any of the top German aces. I beleive the Soviets did get paid a bounty for shooting down German planes and their may have been an ace bounty but it's not clear that there was a specfic one attached to any particular German. On the other hand it would likely have been known that a pilot who did so would recive some reward for the propaganda coup that it would represent.

7. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Read the book " Stuka-Oberst Hans-Ulrich Rudel" by Günther Just, but found nothing to the bounty.

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

It seems as that I read somewhere? dont remember in what or where or even when? but, I read that the "Bounty" for Rudels head was 500,000 Rubles. Im NOT a LW guy so I can't prove anything on where I got that info from? But I do remember reading about a hefty bounty being placed on his gead--kinda like an old West: Wanted: Dead or Alive, kinds thing.

9. m kenny

m kenny Member

This lauding of German aces happened post war . During the conflict little was known of them outside of the Reich. Even if they were known to the Allies I very much doubt they would have been viewed in the revered way we see today.

10. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

The Russians and the other Allies must have had intel and knowledge on some of the Senior German Commanders , Knights Cross winners etc via German propoganda , newspapers , espionage, radio intercepts , prisoners etc etc ?

11. lwd

lwd Ace

Given the sucsess and skill of the Soviet espionage system I suspect they had quite a bit of information in regards to this. However that does't mean that they would want to officially place bounties on individuals for a number of reasons. Note that they did have a bounty system for planes shot down and missions completed and such. It's been reposted recently on a similar thread over on the axis history forum. Again when this came up over there no one could point to a single Soviet document decaring a bounty on an individual pilot.

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Remember that supposedly Erich Hartmann had a fat price on his noggin as well ..........

think in part this may have been TR propaganda to boost the LW moral in more defiance over soviet air space.

13. olegbabich

olegbabich Member

Stalin used Carrot and Stick approach with Red Air Force. Normally
    pilots were paid 1000 – 2000 rubles for shooting down German airplanes. When
    they failed to fight or landed with their wheels up, they were sent to Infantry
    Penal Battalions. There were even Penal Air Squadrons.

14. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I think the bounty system is completely flawed anyway, in war time. The Russians, from what i can gather, did have an intel unit dedicated to Luftwaffe pilots (and later the Luftwaffe bagan a "file" on russians pilots also). Part of it is simple intelligence. Knowing the strength of a flying group, who comprises it and what area/s they patrol. It was the INTELLIGENCE groups who followed and try to kill ace pilots, whilst they were on R&R away from the base. Far easier to bring down Hartmann drunk in a pub than in the skies! It makes good sense, if a little lacking in honour. Some "Lufty" (what my girlfriend calls them) pilots were given body guards when out, from memory, some even had doubles for periods of time, especially if posted close to the front.