Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

a couple more relics from Guadalcanal

Discussion in 'Battlefield Relics' started by emu, Sep 16, 2011.

1. emu

emu Member

Following on from my previous post, here are a few more finds from Guadalcanal. A pistol found at the Gifu position on Mount Austen (the cocking hammer was taken out by the regional peace keeping force we have here as they thought it could still be fired) and two Arisaka rifles. The long arm (Type 99) was found at Point Cruz. The carbine I have been told was issued to engineers, tank crews and truck drivers, it was found in mud on the bank of the Lungga River. The action on Type 99 is still good. The last, what I guess is a high jump medal awarded to Garn ML in 1937. If anyone can find the family they can have it back gratis.

View attachment 14205

Attached Files:

formerjughead likes this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Great finds Emu, the pistol is in great condition and so is one of the rifles. the medal is moving too.

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Very nice items, emu. Hopefully someone will be able to track down a family member so the medal can be returned.

4. Up From Marseille

Up From Marseille Member

5. emu

emu Member

Well done Up From Marseille !!!

I had not known about this. It was not posted by me but a friend, a locally based historian, must have passed on the detail to this person who made the post. I believe Francesca has helped a few dog tags find their way home. Unfortunately this post did not produce any feedback.

I would like to post a picture of the front of the medal but the photograph size is 2.17MB, too big to post on the forum. I am afraid I don't know how to re-size the photograph, I would be happy to get advice on how to re-size it or email it to someone who is able to re-size it and post same.

Heres hoping

6. emu

emu Member

Well, I believe I have managed to reduce the photograph sufficient to post. Obviously it shows the front of the medal awarded to Garn M L.

It is quite a poignant thing and must have meant a lot to Garn M L or whoever did carry it all the way to Guadalcanal.

View attachment 14389

Attached Files:

7. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Looks like a pole vaulter. Some sort of track & field medal, I would guess.