Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Best documentary on the Eastern Front?

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe' started by Georgy, Jan 11, 2013.

1. dude_really

dude_really Doesn't Play Well With Others

Thanks for the video link. I was wanting to find such study long before (as to how A. Speer was able to jerk up german production despite arial bombardments and lack of resources....
    This gives at least an insight in the german production philosophy.

Though I think I should comment on 1 or 2 things:
    There it is said that germans were bad/foolish into having a multitude of tanks models and short production runs as compared to the russians.
    That is a too simple conclusion:

Both the soviets and the germans (and the americans) start off at a point in time during peace to develop a tank that is according to their knowledge (of the military! also the soviet and the US!) THE BEST tank there is (armament, armour, speed) ..all things related to reliability, endurance, mass production benefits are left to the industrialists to optimize in the future.
    Now, the germans had their STATE OF THE ART tank Pnz IV and III developed BEFORE WW2.
    So had things gone well in russia , then there would have been NO Immediate demand for a big fat tank like the Tiger and the pnz 3 and 4 would have had a longer production run, and eventually would have been produced cheaper, and faster (except that the americans and the russians were keen and smart but also FORCED to set up plants to focus on MASSproduction as a necessity; the Russians becoz of life/death, the americans because of running in their lagging behind).

Naturally, the germans had to "start all over again" when being confronted with the first T34 and KV1 in 1941....a new set of DEMANDS were put on paper and the Tiger/Panther came , despite war time (!!NO MORE PEACE TIME!!!), within 2 years.

The Soviets were in luck to have been able to design their T34 and KV1 IN PEACE time when having studied the german tanks (before WW2 exchanges) ..and OF COURSE these tanks outmatched the german pz 3 and pz4.
    Lest not forget the germans destroyed all of their prewar tanks such as the t26, BT5, BT7, etc....

Also, the way in which he portrayed the "so many " "nightmarish" german tank models pz3 and pz4 .... You had that with the t34 and KV1 too...IF YOU COUNT all the different turret models, and engine upgrades, and gun upgrades.

But overall he has made a good point in that german production lines /set up sucked.....and maybe THAT is exactly what Albert Speer Changed in 43 .

MY question is: DID he do it in this (american/russian) way ?
    According to the Me262 anecdote "what good is to have a more reliable jetengine if the pilot/plane dies within 5 sorties?" I believe he did....

So why didn't we get to hear anything of that in his presentation ?

2. lwd

lwd Ace

You may also want to take a look at Wages of Destruction if you haven't alread. Here's an Amazon link other sources will work as well:
    http://www.amazon.com/Wages-Destruction-Making-Breaking-Economy-ebook/dp/B008DR6YXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418049959&sr=8-1&keywords=wages+of+destruction

3. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

That is absolutely a must-have stuff.

Now, let's watch something similar to Freddie's link. Dr. Jonathan M. House talks about "How the Red Army Defeated Germany" to the scholars of the Department of Military History at the U.S. Army's Command and General Staff College. Indeed great stuff. Start watching at 8min 00sec. At the beginning there is just eight minutes of empty podium.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zinPbUZUHDE[/media]

4. dude_really

dude_really Doesn't Play Well With Others

Interesting clip. I would have guessed most of it, and learned it here and there before in docs. But the speaker is well informed in russian material (e.g. as he knew well , where to find the slovak regiment in the SU).

So now all those strategic boardgames like Axis& Allies where the germans have a chance to win the global war have to be rewritten. :/

5. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Sorry I know it's been a while since someone last posted on this thread but I have just recently discovered an unblocked English version of "Soviet Storm" on YouTube. Which a while ago I though was impossible to find. :w00t:

6. L-Raiser

L-Raiser Member

Hello everybody,

Almost two years later allow me to ressurrect this thread on a personal quest.

Some years ago, before 2004, probably 2003, i was zapping at home, late night, and while going through channel 2, here in Portugal, i saw panzers fighting.
    It was a documentary about Kursk, probably commemorating its anniversary (hence me saying 2003). I only caught probably its last third, don't know the name or the production company (although i have a strange recollection that it was british... maybe BBC???).
    It appear to be a single documentary (not part of a series) and i remember that ended with a gathering of former combatants on the Kursk battlefield, commemorating its anniversary... and that it was just about Kursk, no GCI, onle footage and interviews with soldiers and civilians who lived it.
    Any help?

Thanks a lot :)