Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For my grandmother...

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by EJT, May 4, 2018.

1. EJT

EJT New Member

Per the title, the main reason I'm here (and now posting instead of lurking) is to try and piece together more of my grandpa's time serving in WWII for my 85yo grandma. What originally led me to this board was a picture of a brick. Back in October, my grandma sent me a picture of the brick which listed my grandpa's unit and time serving, and was a part of a new veteran's memorial in South Bend, Indiana. I had no idea what "431st AA Artillery" meant, but I was curious enough to start looking, and I ended up finding an incredibly helpful thread here. It opened up more questions than it answered however, so I'll be posting over in the info requests soon (both about him, and an uncle) :)

As for me, I go by Lizzy and am in my early 20s. Living in the midwest, I think being interested in history and people's stories is fairly common - I love historical fiction/nonfiction, as well as cultural or time-period documentaries. I've done a little genealogy for myself and friends, and have a sleep disorder that's also helped hone my searching skills as I track down resources and new research. Besides that, I've been an avid horseback rider for most of my life (and apparently the only one on either side of my family... so not sure where the bug came from). Thanks for having this space for people to learn!

Attached Files:

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  2. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forums EJT! Great too have you here, and good luck with your search!

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Welcome to the Forums, Lizzy. We'll do our best to help you answer the questions you have. Many of us started out in your exact situation, so you're not alone.

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Howdy Lizzie, glad we could provide some info for you.

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Hi Lizzy. Ask away. We'll do our best to help or explain.

6. lwd

lwd Ace

Welcome

7. EJT

EJT New Member

Thank you all for the welcome and encouragement! It's much appreciated :)