Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

GGUncle served in Germany, 1946-1948

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by StratasFan, Mar 12, 2014.

1. StratasFan

StratasFan New Member

Thanks! I'll look through the links and I just contacted Camp Lee. Grand suggestion! Also, Here is another post of the photo of him against the tree. For some reason the previous one is tiny. This should blow up a bit better. If he is wearing a Quartermaster Corp pin (not the disc type, it looks like), how would I be able to tell what type is from the WWII era - if I go to try to buy one?

Attached Files:

2. Takao

Takao Ace

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Well Elizabeth, looks like you've made some progress. These guys are really good. Hope the rest of your search is just as rewarding.

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

:blink: :_doh: Of course you're right, Lou. I should have been able to figure that out.

Elizabeth, thank you for sharing the photos of your GGUncle. Please keep us updated on your progress.

5. StratasFan

StratasFan New Member

Hi! I think I have made my brain fuzzy! I have spent the last day and a half reading up on how to date clutchbacks and insignia! I never knew there was so much to know! I am trying to figure out exactly which type he could have, and I have been pouring over auctions to see what types are available. I now have to get some for myself (just for fun!)! I was reading through one of his letters, and he describes a photo that he sent to his sister - him in front of his barracks in Germany with some buddies. So, now I am going to have to try and get that sister's son to see if he can find the photo! I will keep you posted! I can't thank you all enough, as I have learned so much already!

Does anyone know - insignia, etc. When a person entered the military, did they have to pay for all the different pins?

6. Buten42

Buten42 Member

For enlisted men, as soon as you check into a new duty station the guy in supply furnishes the new insignia--same as promotions.

7. StratasFan

StratasFan New Member

Hi, again! I have another question about Quartermasters. I posted it in the "insignia,etc." board yesterday morning, but haven't gotten a reply yet. So, just wondering if you pros might give me an opinion! ;o) Here is the link to the photo. It suddenly dawned on me that this other young man I've been trying to look into might be in the quartermaster corps, too!

I was able to order in the three government histories of the Quartermaster Corps through our library, so I look forward to perusing through three volumes and 2,000 pages of history! Just my style . . . :eek:) I never really thought about where the cooks came from or the laundry was done or who took care of burying the dead, etc. Now I am going to be on the hunt for Quartermaster stuff!