Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hans von Seeckt

Discussion in 'Prelude to War & Poland 1939' started by harolds, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Diesera

Diesera New Member

Well I find him to be an great general but still mysterious figure.

2. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

Goering or von Seeckt ?

3. harolds

harolds Member

If Diesera is referring to von Seeckt, then that would be normal for a General Staff officer. They had as creed, "A General Staff officer is always more than he appears." To be public figures such as Rommel, Patton, Monty, and MacArthur became, was anathema to them. Recognition by their fellow officers was to be their only reward.

Back to Goring: (Admittedly off topic, but it's useful to compare a political officer such as Goring to a well-trained pro like von Seeckt.) Goring's habit of going into denial, normal for an addict, was a prime example of incompetence. If one can't look at the facts and make reasoned conclusions, then he is not competent to be an officer, much less one of very high rank. Goring was provided data by Galland, Milch and others early in '42 showing what the USA's entrance into the air war would mean for Germany. He refused to take the warnings seriously so by the time they came true, it was too late to do much.

4. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Please forgive me, but this was before I realized that Hermann Goering was a bad commander, but before I knew that, several years ago, for some reason I thought that he wasn't that bad of a commander. I don't know why but I always felt that way based on the early successes in the war with the Luftwaffe. Then I began learning more about the Battle of Britain and how poorly he managed that. Then I learned about how everyone made fun of him because he was heavy, (in one book, they talked about some of the names the Luftwaffe gave him based on his size, and although I can't remember any off the top of my head I do remember that they were hilarious). And then I learned about how he was a morphine addict and that he mostly enjoyed hunting a raiding art museums instead of doing his job as commander of the Luftwaffe. Probably the most revealing insight was when I read A Higher Call by Adam Makos, and it amazed me how pathetic Goering was especially the way he refused to believe anything that came to him.

5. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

I do think that without Guderian I believe that the Germans would not have been so advanced in Blitzkrieg as they were. Because it was him who studied the use of tanks ad realized their great potential and he was the developer of the Blitzkrieg tactic. I just think that he at many times wasn't well treated by Hitler.

6. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Was Hans von Seeckt the one who was secretly advancing/building up the German army in places like Russia? Correct me if I am wrong, I might be thinking of another general.

7. harolds

harolds Member

You're correct Smiley 2.0.

8. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

I have to disagree : Guderia, was telling these things after the war and a lot of what he was telling can be considered as contrary to the truth .That he was not well treaded by Hitler is not true : normally he should have beeb sackedalready in 1940,because he was a macho who did not care about the orders of his superiors,for Guderian,obedience was good for the others,not for him .

9. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Your insight makes sense, but would you say the same about his development of Blitzkrieg?

Or are you referring to how he was treated by Hitler and his behavior of disobeying his superiors?

10. Diesera

Diesera New Member

Hitler thought he was better general than his most of the real generals , to some extent his moves on field in against allied was working it although the German generals did not advice for example his invasion of France through invading the low countries .
    Hitler was a risk taker which explain his actions of invading soviet union,
    What baffle about Hitler the most how he did not in calculating the resources of the British Empire .
    Example middle east and India
    If he want oil then the rich oilfield of the Arabia would satisfying his army for oil
    The problem is he didn't have a huge navy and interesting a historical figure called fritz Grobba and he believe Germany didn't taken advantage of the anti British in the British colonial .
    The German goal was mainly to reconquista of eastern Europe for his pan germanic or pan German
    It was successful nearly in first world War . Actually I don't know if they cares other germanic languages
    Hans von seeckt was German nationalist and his forces did not taken any steps to fight the revolting Frei Krops against the Weimar government .
    As example in during the 1920 putsch
    The new government was not recognized by the bureaucracy so it collapsed easily quickly .
    I read his Wikipedia article (seeckt) in short word
    He was secretly retraining and rearm German forces . And he was anti Jewish figure even to point regardless of the effectiveness of the Jewish solider . His wwi biography states he was adviser for austrian-Hungarian army and he did Good job at it and he was recognized

11. steverodgers801

steverodgers801 Member

LJAD if you read Guderians book, Achtung Panzer, then you will see that a lot of things he developed were unique. The most important things were, radio in each tank, developing tanks after the PZ 1 and 2 that had a commander who was free from other chores and the most important combined arms and concentrating tanks into large units . His insistence paid off in the crossing of the Meuse. Where the allies did not believe a tank unit could cross with out infantry support, his PZ had enough support to make the crossing on their own. Panzer Leader is a self serving memoir that should be taken with a grain of salt.

12. steverodgers801

steverodgers801 Member

The idea of taking Arabia is absurd. The requirements to take the area where vastly beyond German capacity, especially with out a navy. Look how hard it was to get to the Caucasus and there was a direct land link.