Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Index to General Orders?

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Pen, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Sylvestersboy

Sylvestersboy Member

Everyone,

I am so glad I became a member of this website, as everyone is so very helpful. This thread has opened up many avenues to me in search of my Uncle who was also KIA in the European theater. Thank you so much. 5 solutes to each of you...

2. Baker324

Baker324 Member

Lloyd Nelson Boren

I've attached Edward's photo, as well as a text file (zipped) with the 425 members of the 324th that were killed during WWII. The list includes name, rank, company, date of death, home of record.

Steve
    [/QUOTE]

I knew that I had seen Sgt. Boren's name somewhere before. He is mentioned in the B Company History, reference date November 11.

As written:

"We pulled out of our position at 1700 and pulled back into reserve about 1 mile behind the front.

Before we could get out safely, however, a barrage came in and a shell made a direct hit on the hole where Sgt. Boren's mortar was, and Sgt. Boren was killed and members of his squad were wounded."

Baker324

3. Margorita

Margorita recruit

By the way, I was told on the phone yesterday that the VFW in Monahans (county seat for Denny's home county) has a picture of Denny on the wall down there. Do you suppose it's worth my time to contact them and see what info they might have on him? It's only about a two hour drive from me. If I can track down a real live human associated with that VFW post, I could even make an appointment and go see them.

Penny,

If you need information in Monahans, they have an outstanding Archives for Ward County. If you e-mail them
    wardcountyarchives@monahans.org
    Donnita will be happy, no make that delighted to assist you.
    I'll be she would even contact the VFW for you and get them to drop by the picture and scan and send it to you.

Tell her Lisa Watson asked her to do it for you.

4. Pen

Pen Member

My sincere thanks for this post, Margorita. And my apologies for being so long checking in. Life has some strange twists and I've been sidetracked from my research for many months. But, despite my tardiness, I do want you and others who have been interested the 324th's vets to know I appreciate you!

Best regards,
    Penny

5. Buten42

Buten42 Member

This has been one of the most information packed threads I've seen. Too many people here to salute but thanks to you all, I do believe it should be a sticky. It would be nice to go to one place to find all the addresses and web links that this thread provides. Good luck on your quest Pen.
    Dave

6. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

7. lencoo12

lencoo12 recruit

The regiment encountered heavy artillery fire in those early days. There were 39 men from the regiment killed in October, and unfortunately it appears that Dennis Hayes was the first.

8. gunbunnyb/3/75FA

gunbunnyb/3/75FA Member

just a side note maam,when the dog tag was removed from the body and nailed to the grave marker, it had a notch at one side and the hole for the chain of course was at the other.

9. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I just finished reading through the posts and think this is one of the better threads explaining the How To's. Probably why it's a stickey :) anyhoo, thought it needed a bump.

10. JDement

JDement New Member

Just stumbled across this thread while doing some research of my own. One thing I noted was, while perusing the Graves Registration Field Manual, is that the coordinates on the Report of Burial are the geographical location of the cemetary, rather than the location of death. I really wish cause of death on the IDPF I received was a more clear. It states "M.W. Body". I am assuming multiple wounds - body, but haven't been able to find anything to verify this.

11. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I believe that goes to the purpose of the IDPF. It's primary function is to track the disposition of a soldier's remains. Thus details like the exact location of death or even the exact nature of wounds were not considered a high priority. Also, as you have touched on, often the abbreviations used were not consistent. However, I believe your intuition is correct regarding what "M.W. Body" means.

kerrd5 likes this.