Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Please help ID my Grandfather's medal

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Sand_storm, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Sand_storm

Sand_storm Member

Hi all - Merry Christmas and Happy New year! I'm back again in the hunt for info on my grandfather!
    2 questions this time - how do I know if my grandfather was 1st/2nd/3rd etc Army so that I can put the correct patch on the repro uniform jacket I have?
    And also, since he was awarded the combat medical badge he is eligible for the Bronze Star right? Can I apply to have this posthumously awarded?
    Cheers!
    Chris

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Somehow, I lost track of this thread. I'm happy to have found it again.

Regarding the CIB/CMB discussion, the badge shown is clearly a CIB and not a CMB. I believe it has come up in other threads that, at least during WWII, one's MOS was not determinate as to whether one was eligible for a CIB. I believe they only needed to be assigned to an Infantry unit, which the 46th AIB was.

The corrective decision, which has come to be known as the "Bronze Star Conversion", is explained fairly well here:

Bronze Star Medal - CIB/CMB Conversion

I don't believe it is either necessary or even possible to get a "posthumously awarded" BSM conversion. However, if it is possible, you would need to provide the specific GO in which your grandfather is named for a CIB/CMB.

3. Sand_storm

Sand_storm Member

Thanks for the link! And you are completely correct about the CIB in the photo - but I was referring to his discharge papers where it states he was awarded the CMB. The CIB shown may not even have belonged to him. I was given a box containing "all his war stuff" (as my mother called it and it has a mix of stuff - Not all war related. For example there are several medals from the boy scouts - and he was never in the scouts! :)

4. TD-Tommy776

I see what you're saying. However, it is also possible that the discharge papers are incorrect. The person who filled it out could have assumed it was supposed to be a CMB because of his MOS. It seems odd to me that he would have kept a CIB that was not his and not keep (or at least replaced it if it was lost) his CMB. I suppose we could "what if" this question to death and still not have an answer. The only way to know for sure would be to find the GO for the award. That might require tracking down the GOs of the 46th AIB or the 5th AD, depending on which unit issued the award.

Did a quick search online, but only found AARs for the 46th AIB on CARL. Not sure if you're interested or already have them, but the link is:

AARs 46th AIB, Aug - Dec 1944 & Jan - Apr 1945

Sand_storm likes this.
  5. Sand_storm

Sand_storm Member

Yeah you're right about 'what-if-ing' this topic. I really wish I had taken the time to talk to my grandfather about his military career while he was alive.

6. TD-Tommy776

I am going to have to say my previous "what if" is highly unlikely. I found the following on the WW2 US Medical Research Center website:

Though unlikely, it is possible that your grandfather was one whose commander got him a CIB, which was later made a CMB after it was instituted in 1945. That might explain why he has the CIB and his discharge indicates a CMB. Again, finding the GOs would probably answer the question.

You may want to check with the NARA in College Park, MD. I would ask them for a list of the records they have for the 46th AIB. They should provide that for free. If you end up requesting copies, they will charge for them.