Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sink the Bismarck by Johnny Horton

Discussion in 'Atlantic Naval Conflict' started by ColHessler, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Funny :confused: - I was just talking about napalm earlier today. (Have a varmint problem up here)
    How did we go from Sink the Bismarck to incinerating lawns?

ps: when ya' fly over keep an eye open for OpanaPointer's teeth.

2. Clementine

Clementine Member

Hey, thanks. I think.

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Depending on what the Colonel normally feeds his goat, you may be better off with the napalm, Clem. ;)

4. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Getting pretty far afield here folks, but still fun. Does anyone remember the story about President Wilson and his second wife pasturing sheep on the Whitehouse lawns and environs to keep the grass trimmed? That is true, and what is more interesting (to me) is that during the war itself they (the Wilsons) auctioned off the wool from those same sheep, donated the money to the soldier's/sailor's fund, and had the wool made into woolen socks for the military.

5. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

And now - fresh from their tour of North Africa, Sicily and the Normandy Beachead - ladies and gentlemen...THE BLUES BROTHERS!

[video=youtube;5cs_es5DR8U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cs_es5DR8U[/video]

6. firstnorth

firstnorth Dishonorably Discharged

One napalm drop & you wil never have to cut THAT grass again- or worry about gophers.....:eek:

7. firstnorth

firstnorth Dishonorably Discharged

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Have you seen THE MOVIE " SUMMER OF 1942"?:Dhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_O'Neill

8. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

I don't think you'd have to drop napalm on mine at the moment. I think a warm cup of coffee might be about enough to set the grass afire and burn down the entire neighborhood just for kicks. And we're not even officially in the drought area. (Not that the trees that are losing their leaves already seem to know this.)

Heck, Clementine, I'm two years younger than the fine Col. and I'd still be happy for the able assistance of his goats.

9. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Goats smell....I wander if thats why they are the RAF's choice of mascot....Sheep do lawns...Send me a cross atlantic ticket and I'll bring a few over..we get a lot of call for folk who own meadows and land that they don't have time to tend to for our sheep....should hire em out..but free grazing is free grazing...We will even pick up the poo...Sheep...not goats...or even better...the Argentinian long necked version....we are buying a few next year...they chase mr Fox...Bismark eh??? Whats the Bismark got to do with lawns? Although I seem to remember a commander Shepherd being on Ark Royal when she was hunting her....ww2 related then...I knew we'd get back on topic..

10. lwd

lwd Ace

There's a similar song about the Graf Spee but I can't even find the lyrics on line. Leslie Fish has it on one of her tapes I believe but don't know the origins of the song.

11. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

12. lwd

lwd Ace

No. The one I was thinking of was not based on the Golden Vanity. Some of the lines I can remember in no particular order: "The Exeter fought to they steered her by hand" "The cruiser Achilles had smoke for a shield and the shells that fell on her found never her heal". The last stanza referred to Langdorf's suicide closing with: "For he saw his ship drown"