Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Spitfires found in mint conition

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by namvet, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

STOP PRESS STOP PRESS STOP PRESS STOP PRESS !

Archaelogists attached to expedition say no Spitfires in hole......................David Cundall says 'they're looking in the wrong place'..................Press Conference scheduled for this Sunday cancelled..........................

Hold the front page..............................:eek:

2. Martin Bull

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Excellent! Now it's our turn to launch a rumor, they were not found because they are in Martin's garden. :p

4. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

According to an email I received today, the Spitfires actually belong to the Royal House of Burma who now live in exile in Lagos, Nigeria. For only $40,000 (USD) I can have a 25% share in this billion dollar windfall. I've already written the check and am off to the post office to express mail it to a Lagos attorney named Leonard "Spikey" Kundoro who handles all of the Royal Family's financial affairs.

I'm in on the ground floor!

5. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

6. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

No Spitfires? :eek: Surely this is evidence of a government conspiracy. Has anyone checked to see if they are being held at Area 51?

7. Biak

Has anyone seen Otto lately? Not insinuating anything just wondering. Best way to do an Indiana Jones type recovery is to do it 'under the radar'. If I had a brand new Spitfire I'd be flying and not sitting here typing :)

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Does this mean I can't hoist anything this weekend?

9. Biak

If Otto is in Burma I'd say Go for it!

10. Martin Bull

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Oh, my I can't believe some are still falling for this

12. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

13. LRusso216

Do you mean nothing was found? I'm stunned. :rolleyes:

14. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Well, it's Burma so if they dig long enough they'll eventually come up under the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington DC where they'll find a well preserved Spitfire.

15. Biak

Never know what you'll find;

*January 20, 2013 bk

In the wake of the dismal news from Myanmar on the failure to find up to 130 Spitfire aircraft, news is slowly being release of another possible expedition.
    It has been reported from a non confirmed source who wishes to remain anonymous at this time, that a ‘lost squadron’ of Republic P47 Thunderbolt Fighter/Bomber airplanes left over from WW2 have been tentatively located in an as yet undisclosed South Pacific Island Nation. Presumably these aircraft, possibly as many as 16, have been seen by local Natives who contacted, through the World Wide Web, an American citizen interested in visiting their area. Unconfirmed reports detail the existence of ’The Lost Patrol’ that became disoriented due to weather conditions.
    It is believed that in 1947 16 aircraft took off from a small island off Eastern Dutch New Guinea on a mission to deliver the planes, along with several bushel baskets of fresh coconuts, to an observation station somewhere in the Northern reaches off the New Guinea coast. It is assumed the aircraft were to be used in testing a new radar, the remains of which is also possibly in the area.
    Due to the secrecy of the mission very little is known other than that uncovered by the unnamed citizen who has taken it upon himself to get to the bottom of the mystery. He has just now come forward seeking a limited number of prospective partners after spending untold dollars of his own.
    “It was my hope that I could do this myself, but a man can only do so much alone“ he said in an interview at an undisclosed location.
    Security concerns both relating to the possible looting and environmental concerns have raised a multitude of barriers. “I would like to go there myself but I need funding”.
    Anyone who has an interest inWW2 aircraft and specifically, willing to help possibly recover one or more of some of the greatest fighter planes during the War who would like to assist are encouraged to contact this reporter who will forward to the unnamed American citizen. Checks should be made out to “The Biak Recovery & Vacation of a Lifetime” foundation.

16. LRusso216

Ooh. I'll be the first to contribute. Sounds as likely to be true as the reports of the buried Spitfires. Just look for the check in the mail.

17. Biak

I'm sure he will appreciate it! It's minus 3 degrees (-19 to our Celsius friends) where he is and 78 degrees F in New Guinea right now.

18. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I'll proudly donate sixteen cents (one cent per airframe) to the Foundation, on the condition that I recieved no less than a 69.2% share of whatever is recovered, that I am invited to join the recovery expedition and my full airfare is paid for (in cash) before we depart the continental United States.

I await your response.

19. Biak

Total pledged so far;
    (Thanks Alan)

Dollars
    $ 000,000.16

Ain't there any rich Dot.com guys out there ?

20. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

My pen has gone all squiggly, can I just stuff large amounts of cash in an envelope?