Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WW2Talk.com

Discussion in 'WWII Forums News' started by Otto, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

Damn, you guys doin gall this technical work and all I do is draw smilies. At best I can draw a picture of a computer, :monitor: maybe even a printer :printer: or disk.:disk:

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You got one on me. Peppy. I can draw, just not with a pc. I need a pencil and paper.

I was being selfish, I just wanted Owen back online so that he could continue to contribute good information.

3. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

I'm afraid I'll stick here.. I already have to look at 9 forums on the go!

4. sapper

sapper British Normandy Veteran, Royal Engineers

Stone me is this the original ww2talk?
    Sapper who is lost

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Brian :

ww2f.com was the first/the original and ww2talk.com came later onto the net. Otto purchased the talk.com site as you know .........

E ~

6. sapper

sapper British Normandy Veteran, Royal Engineers

Yes.... I belonged to this ww2forums for years as Otto knows. But thoroughly knackered trying to find the ww2talk original.
    I must be getting old?
    Sapper

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

no not old at all. I was bewildered for a time and wondered where ww2talk had it's origins as I was invited some years ago to join up

8. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

9. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Belated congrats, Otto! I just read this post. On your way to becoming the WW2 website mogul!? ;) I will have to take a look down there soon!

10. J.A. Costigan

J.A. Costigan Member

Hey guys, I registered and activated my account on WW2Talk and have been in que to join for 2 days now. Can anyone on here inform me of when I will be able to post?

11. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Hi Costigan,
    Should be sorted now - something 'stuck' somewhere along the line.
    PM or profile message me if you have any more bother.

Cheers,
    Adam.

12. J.A. Costigan

J.A. Costigan Member

Yep it's working fine now. Thank you.

13. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

Otto

As someone with a foot in both camps I wait to be informed as to which forum I now need to log on to.

In the meantime I send you my very best whishes in whatever you need to do to maintain both sites.

Best regards to all my friends.

Ron

14. Ron Goldstein

Re my recent posting which may have puzzled various souls......

For some unknown reason my PC offered me the first item in this thread which I now see is dated 2007 !

Please therefore ignore my last posting entirely with the exception of any greetings to friends:)

Ron

von Poop likes this.
  15. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Ooh, that gave me the willies for a second there, Ron.

I know Otto"s been doing some tidying of the behind the scenes structure of both places.
    Maybe just a blip of sorts from that.

16. Ron Goldstein

Adam

Thanks for sparing my blushes, it really wasn't a 'senior moment' on my part and I genuinely thought Otto was on the move again :)

Relief all round !

Ron

17. Sarge

Sarge Member

I just went over and looked at WW2 talk and didn't see any thing but Brit. Since I have no interest in anything Brit except a few weapons that site is of no interest/use to me.
    Sarge

18. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

That's by design. 2F is more US centric, while 2Talk is more Commonwealth focused. Your think with a topic like WWII would be universal, but there are enough differences to matter. The differences are fairly important, and worth preserving.

When I bought (rescued?) WW2Talk in 2007, I made a commitment to let them run the site autonomously. Among other measures, a rule was implemented that no moderator/admin could serve on both sites (not even me). This has proven useful in keeping cultures separate, and we find most people (like Sarge) prefer one or the other.

Obviously, I find the history of these websites mildly interesting, and based upon the number of general questions I get about them (via e-mails and PMs) so do a few of you lot also. The story of WW2Talk is a particularly interesting tale. Founded in 2004 at a different domain (wwiiforum.com), she was merged with two other sites (one of them ww2talk.com), and sold six or seven times, until ultimately I had the opportunity to buy her. All credit to Owen, von Poop, and the admin team there for their diligent and astute leadership.

USMCPrice and TD-Tommy776 like this.
  19. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I don't think I had heard the history of WW2Talk before. Very interesting. I spend most of my time here, but I do bop on over to the Talk once in a blue moon. I like the fact that the two Forums have different emphases. If they were both USA-centric, there would be very little content prior to 7 Dec 1941 when the War began. :cool:

(P.S. That's a joke.)

20. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Well that's a very condensed version of things.

This was ten years ago, facebook and twitter were around but both had just been started and were still figuring things out. At the time there were several different competing WWII sites, with attempts to step on the established domain names of already existing sites, offers to buy competitors going in several directions (none from me), and a couple shady dealers. Making a site profitable was actually possible during that period, and many of the website owners/dealers involved had no serious interest in military history, or at least were more interested in profit. It's actually an interesting story because there were (and still are) so many moving pieces.

Over the years I've founded one discussion board (this one) and come into possession of exactly five different WWII discussion boards, and in every case I've folded the content into existing sites. In ever case save for WW2 Talk. I knew from the start that WW2 Talk was a different, and I dare say a special place who's culture was just too interesting to merge. I'm truly proud to be a small part of what she has become.

lwd and BFBSM like this.