Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Please and Thank you

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Frankjourney, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Frankjourney

Frankjourney New Member

Hello,
    I am working on my wife's father's war history fighting in Italy.

Background: My wife and I have been married for ten years. Over the years her family told me what they knew about his time in Italy but said their father didn't talk alot about his experiences. He died in 1992 and the family did not have any "paperwork" to give clues about what he went through. I was in the Navy in late 70's and remembered we were told to make our DD214 public record at the courthouse. My wife and I went to her father's hometown and was able to get a copy of his DD214. A wealth of information...but also more questions. We sent away for his awards thinking they would be the "paper documentation" but received just the medals. We were really appreciative for the medals and it left us wanting more information.
    If I may ask…anyone know how we can find out what happened when he received his Purple Heart?

Date of PH… 6 Nov 44
    338th Company A
    We have a million request but will not flood the gates just yet.

THANK YOU!!!!!

2. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hello Frank, we'd need more information to help you out. 338th, but which Army, which Theatre?

5. Frankjourney

Frankjourney New Member

Darn...I knew, just thought everyone else knew...isn't there only one! he-he

Italy...5th Army 85th Infantry Division, 338th CO A. (Information from his DD214) Frank's MOS (My name is Mike) was Clerk Typist 405.
    Frank was wounded on 6NOV44. (Side note: his daughter (my wife) remembers her father saying he received the injury while running communication cables across a bridge) Durning my research I have seen where CO A was 2nd (and) also 3rd Battalion...do you know which one it is?
    I have Frank arriving in Italy on 8APR44 (per DD214) would he have gone "right to work" or was there a "get acquainted time before going to the front?

I'm trying to keep my questions below 100 per post...MY WIFE IS SO THRILLED!!! I'm not letting her see any of my work as of yet.

Thank you

6. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Welcome to this forum :cheers:!

7. lwd

lwd Ace

If you post a request over in the information subforum, especially if you put things like "Italy", "US Army", and "85th Division" in the title you may get a faster response. A number of the more helpful members on this forum have areas where they are especially knowledgeable and if they see those pop up in a header they are likely to respond quite quickly. Some of the don't frequent this subforum either.

Welcome aboard by the way. Of all the forums I've seen on the net this is probably the best for help with this sort of question.

It's also worth noteing that one of our WWII vets fought in Italy and another one of our more prolific posters lives there.

8. jeansamsmom

jeansamsmom New Member

I'm also looking for information on my dad (Thomas Osbourn) who was in 338th Engineer but he was Company C. He was in Naples, Rome, No Appennines and PO Valley. He was an AA Machine Gunner with the #597 after that. Not sure what that means. I only have his discharge papers. Arrived in Italy either May 12, 1943 or September 9, 1943 and left in 1945. Hoping someone who served with him, or knows someone who served with him, will see this. He was from Kentucky

9. McCabe

McCabe Active Member

Highly unlikely. Your best bet is to create a new thread and request research assistance.

jeansamsmom likes this.
  10. McCabe

McCabe Active Member

11. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

This doesn't help much, but it's something.

Activated in 1942 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi, the 338th Infantry Regiment was the core infantry regiment of the 85th Infantry or "Custer" Division. Though the regiment was not used in combat in France in 1918, it's World War II heraldry would be very different. The 338th Infantry saw active combat through 1944 beginning at Minturno, Santa Marie Infante (the Gustav Line offensive), Terracina, the Arno River, Mount Altuzzo (the Gothic Line offensive), North Apennines, and into the Po Valley in 1945.

It was at Mount Altuzzo that the 338th Infantry proved its mettle. A significant point of defense in the German Gothic Line, the 3,000-foot peak overlooked the eastern flank of the Il Giogo Pass through the mountains north of Florence. At H-Hour on September 13, 1944, the 338th Infantry attacked the height. Despite heavy losses and a desperate enemy defense, the 338th Infantry made significant gains against enemy positions on the western slope and overran the mountain's lower defenses. By September 18, the regiment had secured most of the height and the breach in the Gothic Line was impossible for the weakened German units to retake. Combined with the fall of Mount Monticelli to the 91st Infantry Division on the western flank of the pass, the important breach of the Gothic Line gave Fifth Army passage into the North Apennines Mountains and Firenzoula. The Custermen of the 338th broke the back of German resistance at the pass. Veterans of Combat Team 8 returned to Mount Altuzzo on September 20, 1987, to dedicate a monument where the regiment fought.

The 338th Regimental Combat Team, "Combat Team 8", included the 338th Infantry, 329th Field Artillery, Company B, 310th Engineer Battalion, and Company B, 310th Medical Battalion.

The motto of the regiment is "Marchons" or "March On!".

http://user.pa.net/~cjheiser/ct8/338main.htm

12. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Welcome to the Forum, Mike. First, Company A would have been in the 1st Battalion. In WWII, the infantry companies were assigned as follows: A thru D, 1st Bn.; E thru H, 2nd Bn.; I, K, L, M were 3rd Bn.

Regarding your first question in post #1, I presume you are wanting to know how he was wounded. First, you do have his account which might be as specific an answer as you can get. Presumably the date of the PH refers to the date he was wounded. You can check the unit histories of the 85th Division (available in reprint) or the 338th (harder to come by) to see what was transpiring on or around that date. It helps that you know he was in Company A. That allows you to focus in on the 1st Battalion of the 338th.

Here's a Facebook group on the 338th. It may be worth a try for 338th specific info.

McCabe likes this.
  13. Frankjourney

Frankjourney New Member

Thank you to all the above responses...I was out for a day or two and will be busy following up on the leads.